• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 Tcase seal

Franknjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1992 XJ with a 242 Tcase and 105k miles, 2” budget boost. The rear seal has been leaking since I bought it 16 years ago. I took it back to the stealer right after I bought it to have some small things fixed. When I picked it up and came home and parked it in the garage the next morning there was another drop of oil on the floor. I called the stealer and was asked if it was leaking or just weeping? I told them there was a spot on the garage floor. I was told they do not fix weeping.
Last week I started getting a rumbling about 55 MPH. I crawled under the Jeep to check thing out. I grabbed things and shook things and found a small amount of movement in the drive shaft in the rear of the Tcase.
My question is when I replace the seal should I think about a “redi-sleeve”?
Has anyone had any experience with "redi-sleeves?
Thanks in advance
John

The slip yoke will have some movement, that is normal. If you think the slop is excessive, there is a bushing inside the extension housing that can be replaced. It is good to do that when you replace the rear seal. I did this on my NP231 a week ago.

By redi-sleeve, do you mean sleeving the outside of the slip yoke so as to increase its diameter? If the slip yoke is worn I would replace it rather than mess with that. I know you can buy replacement slip yokes for a 231, but I'm not sure if they will work on a 242. I recently replaced mine with a YJ yoke, to get a little more engagement of the yoke on the output shaft.

As for the rumble, check the fluid levels in the T-case, and check the u-joints.

Thanks Rob. I didn’t know about the bushing. I did remove the drive shaft and check the u-joints, the look good. But with 105k miles I may change them.
The YJ yoke is longer than the XJ’s. That is good to know.
Again, thanks. This is a lot of good info!
John

Back