• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newb ?'s about Master Bushing Kit, Lift & more

muns88

NAXJA Forum User
Well, looks like I'm a NAXJA guy now. My wife & I recently picked up a '90 XJ, 4.0, 4x4, 252,000 miles. It's in fair shape for the year/miles and oh yeah, it was $300. I've already put in some new injectors & still have a question or 2 regarding the fuel system that I'll get to later, but for now I'm looking at doing a few things to kill the DEATH WOBBLE & make it a little taller too.

I'm looking at picking up a master bushing kit & a 3" budget lift kit, then getting it all aligned. Here are the kits I'm looking at:

Lift: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0498140063&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Bushings:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0318505131&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

What are your thoughts? Are these decent kits & would they be a good idea to install? I'm not going to do much serious offroading, just want to fit some 31's under the fenders & kill this death wobble. Anything else I should be getting? Just looking for a little general guidance as a newb to the XJ scene.

Thanks in advance for any help!

You need to find out what is causing the dw, I doubt the bushing kit will fix it and I wouldn't want all poly bushings anyways. The lift kit will be fine a long as your springs are not shot to begin with. There are all kinds of threads on DW but I would start by checking the track bar, its a common failure. With the vehicle on the ground have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you look at both trak bar ends, there should be no play along with no play in any steering end.

Lift kit,maybe.
Bushing kit,absolutely not!

All the poly bushings I have are the leaf and shackle bushings are day star red poly, and the front control arms are Daystar red poly bushings with poly thrust washer.

Well, I checked out the track bar. Bingo! Can I replace just the end on the track bar, or does the whole thing need replaced? And if it does, what is a cheapish, but decent one? And I did notice a few other bushings that were looking pretty sad. Should I just buy the individual ones I need, or look at a kit of some sort?

Sorry for all the questions guys, but I genuinely do appreciate the help. If I'm being an idiot & missing some obvious posts let me know & I'll look a little harder. Thank you!

Ha, I thinlk thats about the problem of dw 90 percent of the time! Depends on what you want to do. A stock replacment is only like 60 bucks with a lifetime warrenty and if your only doing a 2 inch lift you will probably be fine and you can always redrill the lower mount over (search). I would just do stock replacment on the other worn out stuff like I said at only 2 inch lift your really not stressen to much stuff.

Well I'm going to O'Reiley to pick up a $37 track bar, new control arm bushings & sway bar links. Anything I should be aware of for installing them? Looks like it should be pretty basic. And I won't need an alignment after replacing those parts will I?

Back