• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Master & External Slave Cylinder Replacement

deucestudios

NAXJA Forum User
Tools:

• 1/2" deep well socket
  • needle nose pliers or small screwdriver

Removal:

1. Remove (2) 1/2" nuts/studs from slave cylinder to clutch housing
  2. Remove slave cylinder from clutch housing
  3. Disengage clutch fluid line from body clips
  4. Verify clutch master cylinder cap is on tight
  5. Remove (2) 1/2" clutch master cylinder attaching nuts, one from inside above clutch pedal, other from engine bay below master cylinder
  6. Remove cotter pin holding clutch pedal to master cylinder push rod
  7. If pedal pin is equipped with bushing, inspect, replace if worn
  8. Remove clutch hydraulic linkage through engine compartment
    (I positioned a drain pan below, cut the line, drained the fluid into it by opening the MC cap, and slid it right out)
  9. Disconnect clutch pedal position wires
    (mine did not have these)

Assembly:

1. Be sure master cylinder cap is on tight
  2. Position clutch linkage components in vehicle
  3. Work slave cylinder downward through engine bay so that hydraulic line is tight to body, parallel to brake & gas lines
    (Ok, the line on mine did not want to fit between the brake booster and the seam at the dash panel/cowl. I had to get a little ugly on it with pliers so that the line would go down behind there. When you take yours out, see if it fits through there, and do what you need to before putting the new one in.)
  4. Position master cylinder in dash panel
  5. Attach master cylinder push rod to pin on clutch pedal
  6. Install and tighten clutch master cylinder attaching nuts, tighten to 200-300 INCH pounds.
  7. Insert slave cylinder push rod through clutch housing opening and into release lever. Be sure cap on end of rod is securely engaging in lever. Check this before installing cylinder attaching nuts.
    (Don't take the white plastic piece off the slave, it's designed to break off inside the first time you use the clutch.)
  8. Install and tighten slave cylinder attaching nuts/studs, tighten to 200-300 INCH pounds.
  9. Secure fluid lines in body clips
  10. Connect clutch pedal position wires
    (mine did not have these)

Exploded Views:

60a38b1a.jpg

c1c5ee9c.jpg

6b0d5352.jpg

One piece, non serviceable, clutch & slave cylinder assembly:
Don't take the white plastic piece off the slave, it's designed to break off inside the first time you use the clutch.

c9db9def.jpg

Other pics:

08bb8d1a.jpg

e095ae83.jpg

f55f696f.jpg

Back