• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is my fuel pump on the way out?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
A few years ago I bought a new fuel pump from autozone(master brand)and installed it into my 89 xj w/4.0
Its always hummed and was audible because I dont have carpet.Well today I came to a stop light after traveling on the freeway for a half hour and thought there was a lawn mower right next to me but it was coming from inside my jeep!!!
This thing is so loud it sounds like a vacuum cleaner was left on in my cargo area!!!Initially I thought my OBA compressor somehow got switched on...hahaha

So me thinks its gonna leave me stranded???This thing has less than 10k on it

Some pumps are louder than others.

That being said, if a fuel pump gets louder and louder, it definitely can be a tip off that it is not long for this world.

If you end up replacing it, buy a BOSCH. They are the absolute best in the business when it comes to fuel pumps.

Do NOT buy an Airtex! IMHO, they are the bottom of the barrel for reliability. Many parts stores offer this brand as an attractive price point. But as we all know, price is only one small part of the equation when purchasing auto parts.

^^I agree completely^^

If the pump is getting louder, it sort sounds like the bearings are on the way out. Somethings you just have to spend the big bucks on. In terms of reliability, when I sold off my 72 Mercedes 280SEL 4.5 (in 2010), it had a couple of interesting things. Original engine/transmission and fuel pump. It also had 345,000+ miles on it.

Jeep used Bosch for alot of the parts (electric fan motor being one) for a reason. Autozone, Advance Auto and the rest of those types of shops are good for generic stuff. Even though it is painful, I use Jeep fuel pumps. If we knew what the Bosch part number is on the pump, we could find it for less online and still have a genuine Bosch part.

would be nice to find the bosch pump for less....im def gonna put a bosch in it.When i put the generic pump in there 10k miles ago i figured eh ill get atleast 50k outta it...WRONG!!!You live you learn....:conceited

Are crown pumps worth the gamble?

Ive been wondering if not having a ballast resistor had anything to do with its early demise??I deleted the balast resistor years ago so I would have one less failure point out on the trail....

Back