• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Testing a bad tstat

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
would be placing a tstat in boiling water the proper way to see if it opens or not? back story is i pulled the motor out of my 95 to do new gaskets and seals, also replaced the entire cooling system( radiator tstat water pump hoses rad cap) it will warm up and creep to 260 and stay there even with both fans going it will still go to 260, the upper hose never gets hot, so im guessing faulty tstat id just like to test this one to make sure if theres any way, thanks

Yup, a good way to test. Use a tin can, though, you don't want to boil it up in any pot you might cook in.

Another possibility is that you may have installed it backwards.

Yup, a good way to test. Use a tin can, though, you don't want to boil it up in any pot you might cook in.

Another possibility is that you may have installed it backwards.
it got installed right, i orig tryied installing it backwars and the housing wouldnt come close to the block, anyways i picked up a 10 dolla pot at wal mart and the tstat opens fine, so im gonna pull the pump and see what rotation it is

Unless you have some type of different t-stat housing it won't go in backwards. Chevys and Fords yes, 4.0L, No.

Back