• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 with no TPS?

76_iron

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to run an AW4 behind a carb'd 4.0 in my YJ, will it cause any transmission damage if I run it shifting manually with no tps connected? This will be just until I get around to fabbing a tps bracket off the carb.

Thanks

It is my understanding that the cable from the throttle body controls, in part, the pressure of the slush box. It would be a very easy fab to add a bracket to the carb. IMHO, you should connect the cable.

I am going to attach the TV cable, I know that the TPS controls shift points and torque converter lockup. I am wondering if the transmission will get too hot if the tps isn't hooked up and I manually shift because the torque convertor will not lock up when needed.

I think you can hurt the trans by running it with the TV cable disconnected. Nothing to do with heat or TC lockup. Go ahead and install a bracket before you run it.

FWIW I have tc lockup some times, Not sure how far you plan on driving unlocked. I've gone 30 mins at highway speeds( bout the furthest i have to drive) and my trans temp doesn't get more than 160degrees. I do have a tranny cooler though.

FWIW I have tc lockup some times, Not sure how far you plan on driving unlocked. I've gone 30 mins at highway speeds( bout the furthest i have to drive) and my trans temp doesn't get more than 160degrees. I do have a tranny cooler though.

This is what I was hoping to hear, thanks. I assume you are driving with the tcu unplugged?

Back