• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old rock krawler 3 link long arm kit

XGarfX

NAXJA Forum User
Looks like I'm going to be getting a used RK long arm lift kit to replace my pieced together 4.5 inch short arm. Its the older style that is welded to the bottom side of the frame rails and has straight arms, I know I know outdated kit but the price is way to good to pass the entire kit up. Its got new military wrapped RK leafs with boom shackles, 4.5 inch RK coils, trackbar ect ect ect. So my question is, would you say its safe (and strong) to have these mounts just welded to the lower frame rail without having frame stiffeners? I know it would be better to but time constraints and money don't allow at this time, possibly a few months from now I will remove the lower mounts and have a set welded up. Reason being is that my lift is getting tossed to someone else and the rk lift is going on mine, I can't physically have my xj down for more then a few days total since its my DD.

Let me know what you guys think of the older style kit (not sure what GEN it is) and about the welding question. Also if anyone knows what size leaf spring pin they use on their leaf springs, I drilled my center pin hole out for the next size up center pin when building my bastard pack.

i ran it. it worked.

the rest of the unibody failed before the frame around the link mounts showed any issues.

Here are some pics of mine:

25373_1445753263634_1227211528_3-1.jpg

25373_1445753703645_1227211528_3217.jpg

I love it! Flex is great and it rides pretty damn nice considering it has 8 inches of lift. Pretty sure thats the thickest part of the unibody too. my steering box ripped itself out this winter, still not one crack near the long arm mounts.

Thats with or without frame stiffeners? Do you have any pics of it all installed? And how did their joints last? thanks ktm

without

5+ years later i still run the joints on different control arms

I know for sure I need to replace the upper joint at the frame end as its got some slop in it. He said its less then $40 for the joint, I'm gonna give them a call and see which one I need again. Last time I called they tried selling me their "upgrade" kit with new lower arm frame side joints, new brackets and a brand new upper link.... It would allow me to run their bolt on brackets though. Anyone replace their joints with johny joints instead?

I run these joints on my rear 4 link.
I just, after almost 10 years, ripped the shank out of the bung on the link.
They have held up very well for me. I think I got my moneys(sp) worth.
Stukboy

How does everyone like RK springs? The entire kit was installed in 2005, its a 4.5 inch long arm kit by RK. How are their coils? The leaf packs were replaced 2 years ago with RK upgraded packs with military wraped ends and boom shackles. The leafs kinda looked a little "wavy" and not perfectly arched. I really like the fact they are military wrapped and have the nice spring clamps but the wavy and somewhat seperating lower leaf worries me. I might just use the boom shackle on my existing bastard packs (which I happen to really like) which would also save me the headache of removing the front leaf spring bolt/sleeve. Its also coming with Procomp nitro shocks for 4-6 inch lift. Tell me about your experiences with using their springs and such.

Back