• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Replacement

sam24th

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so Im getting ready to replace the trans in my jeep so I can finally have 4wd again. My jeep originally came with an AW4 trans and Tcase ffrom factory but the guy I bought it from replaced it with an AW4 2wd transmission for whatever reason. Still unknown to me why he did so. Anyhow mines is a 1990 model cherokee. I acquired a transmission from a 1988 cherokee with a 242Tcase. I was wondering if the transmission would work fine with my cherokee before I start pulling parts this weekend. Anyone have some tips on the procedure for pulling the old trans and installig the new one? Also is it easier to install the new trans with or without the Tcase?

Ok so Im getting ready to replace the trans in my jeep so I can finally have 4wd again. My jeep originally came with an AW4 trans and Tcase ffrom factory but the guy I bought it from replaced it with an AW4 2wd transmission for whatever reason. Still unknown to me why he did so. Anyhow mines is a 1990 model cherokee. I acquired a transmission from a 1988 cherokee with a 242Tcase. I was wondering if the transmission would work fine with my cherokee before I start pulling parts this weekend. Anyone have some tips on the procedure for pulling the old trans and installig the new one? Also is it easier to install the new trans with or without the Tcase?

the previous owner obviously had his own shit going on, and probably switched to 2wd because he had access to a 2wd trans?
why do you care? you bought it that way.

as far as swapping the trans, it's somewhat easy, drop the trans crossmember enough to get to the top inverted torx bolts, get all that starter/inspection cover bullshit off, unbolt the 4x torque converter bolts thru the new inspection window. unbolt the linkage(s, theres 2 on a 4wd, only 1 for a 2wd) and the driveshaft(s, same, 2 on a 4wd, 1 on a 2wd). then get a floor jack and a large 6x6 block, and pull the XXXXer...

couple crucial points,
-make sure you get all the bolts, theres 1 holding the trans dipstick in, iirc, it'll hold you up. if it wont pull, you missed some bolt(s)
-make sure you dont strip the inverted torx bolts up top.... if you do, get an irwin XXXXed bolt extractor set... theres a metric, and a standard set, dont remember which (i bought both)
-make sure you then REPLACE these inverted torx bolts with a regular headed grade-8 bolt to make future servicing easier.
-make sure youve got lots of rags/oil pans/etc, the trans will bleed.... and bleed and bleed... then bleed some more....
-(this is somewhat obvious but should be said just in case) whenever working with a starter (or near it!) disconnect the battery... dont want to arc 12v thru your socket wrench.

Thanks, ill try to get my buddy over here this weekend and help me out with removal. Does anyone know when the spline count changed? I have the original Tcase from the 1990 cherokee and since it has the SYE I might want to use that one instead with my new trans from the 1988.

Thanks, ill try to get my buddy over here this weekend and help me out with removal. Does anyone know when the spline count changed? I have the original Tcase from the 1990 cherokee and since it has the SYE I might want to use that one instead with my new trans from the 1988.

You should be fine. It seems that 91 was the spline count change. Check out the link provided in the previous post though.

Back