• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ride quality

westvalleyxj

NAXJA Forum User
First let me say I know I made a mistake buying this kit thinking it would be a quality ride, but I always seem to learn the hard way. I have a 4.5" RC short arm lift on my 98 xj. I have been told to ditch the shocks and go with something better. What I want to know is, if I just change the shocks is the ride going to dramatically improve or do I have to change coils as well. I know a long arm kit will improve ride quality but its not in my budget range right now. So what it comes down to is, will shocks alone improve ride quality on the road and not make it seem like I am riding on solid struts? If so what brand and model? Thanks.

Drop brackets will make a huge difference as would long arms, but LA's are way more expensive and will not give you a huge return unless you are a fairly frequent and or hard core rock crawler. CAD brackets are still very effective off road on a Cherokee and ride great on the road.

also, check on your shackle angle. chances are it sucks, getting relocation brackets or building your own could make a very big difference

also, check on your shackle angle. chances are it sucks, getting relocation brackets or building your own could make a very big difference

The shackle angle is terrible, it's all the way forward, but I don't want to go any higher in the rear which the shackle relocation bracket would do. POS leaf springs and RC won't do anything about it.

all the way forward? or 90*? cause 90* is normal even for stock. got pics? if it IS a screwed up spring, I can guarantee you 100% that Jason Birkes at RC will replace them right away.

all the way forward? or 90*? cause 90* is normal even for stock. got pics? if it IS a screwed up spring, I can guarantee you 100% that Jason Birkes at RC will replace them right away.

All the way forward and when I go over bumps it hits the mount and clunks like crazy. Drivers side more than passenger.

Last edited:
yeah, definitely take some pictures, post them here, give a call to RC and ask specifically for Jason Birkes. He will sort it out for you

The shackle angle is terrible, it's all the way forward, but I don't want to go any higher in the rear which the shackle relocation bracket would do. POS leaf springs and RC won't do anything about it.

Honestly a shackle relocation bracket will not lift it a lot because you lose lift as you increase the angle.

IMG_9853-1.jpg
Passenger then Driver side.
IMG_9855.jpg

Do you tighten the shackles bolts before putting the vehicle weight on them?

Back