• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need a water pump pulley!

BigGuy

NAXJA Forum User
So, I was replacing my water pump yesterday and I was trying to take the pulley off. I tried a couple tricks that I read on here, but the only way I could get that last bolt off was to crank down on the pulley with a pair of vice grips. This eventually worked and I got the pulley off, but it mangled it the point of being unusable. I probably would've been more careful if I had realized how hard it is to find one of these things. Does anybody have a source online to get one or happen to have an extra one laying around I could buy?

'92 4.0

local parts store? next time use a puller.

I've checked a few local stores. They got nothing. A puller wouldn't have helped. It has 4 bolts that all need to get unscrewed. The first 3 are easy by putting a wrench on one of the other bolts, but the last one is was got me.

looks like autozone has em for 15bucks

Can you supply me a link? I searched their site and I found no water pump pulleys for a 92 Xj 4.0.

i dont see it on any of the usual suspects' websites... might be a junkyard thing.

i made a tool for holding the pulley, basically a peice of flatstock, with 2 holes, and 2 small bolts to go into the holes on the pulley.... irritatingly, the next waterpump i bought, didnt have these holes....

I'll check tomorrow but I most likely have one in storage if you can't find one.....unless the 2.5 is the same as the 4.0 cause a ton o'folks sell the 2.5 one

Next time break them all loose, then start taking them off all the way, a wrench or flathead screwdriver can be held in between the studs to get the last ones off

i made a tool for holding the pulley, basically a peice of flatstock, with 2 holes, and 2 small bolts to go into the holes on the pulley.
You know what really sucks. I just found a spanner wrench in my toolbox that fits those holes perfectly.

...unless the 2.5 is the same as the 4.0 cause a ton o'folks sell the 2.5 one
Yeah, I've seen those around. They're different.

...a wrench or flathead screwdriver can be held in between the studs to get the last ones off
I tried that with the screwdriver, but all it got me was busted knuckles.

i have one with the bolts for $10 plus shipping. PM if interested in it. it is from a 4.0
PM sent.

Next time leave the belt on when you break them loose. If it still slips use a strap wrench around the pully and you will be fine.
Hindsight is 20/20, but I 'm replacing more than just the waterpump and I already had the radiator, radiator hoses, idler pulley, thermostat housing, thermostat, serpentine belt, and probably more pulled out. And I couldn't find a strap wrench around.

Back