• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE leaf spring fun

srmitchell

NAXJA Forum User
So, my spring shackles have been leveraging against my bumper bolts for over a year now, limiting uptravel.

I decided to take them off and clearance them today, in the process, I noticed that the shackle bushing are toast. They're RE 5 inch, 1.25 lift shackles. RE is now back in business, but won't be shipping parts till August. (Says the website)

Any easy way to find these bushing and sleeves?

93fe82a7.jpg

Also, my 3.5 inch RE leaves need new friction pads. They've lasted 3 years, not bad. Where can I get these? Surprisingly, my main bushings are ok.

5c2135d9.jpg

60dac289.jpg

Thanks!
-Columbus

Rusty's has them. Or last i checked they did... I called National Spring for my RE leaf bushings. Get the OD measurments of the sleeves and width of bushings. You may have to trim the main eye bushing to get the width you want. There's is a little wider than RE. Keep in mind.. THEY ARE NOT rubber bushings. They are some sort of poly. So they will sqeek a little. Use Anti-sieze on them when you slide the bushings into the leaf eye. National Spring told me "Some greases deteriorate poly faster" Not sure what grease or if it's true, But anti sieze is cheap enough.

I'll see if i can dig up a part # from National S. for ya

Last edited:
I just re read your post and realized your not asking for leaf spring bushings, but shackle bushings. Sorry for blazing through you post and not fully reading and understanding your question. Still.... National Sprng carries TONS of bushings in all sizes even RE's odd ball ones. Again, OD and width is all the need to set you up. They may even have the spring pads you need.

national spring does have spring pads that will fit perfectly with RE's leafs. thats where i got replacement pads. i added extras so i had some in between every leaf. i'd call them up. theyre like $0.25 each or something.

my bushings went pretty quick too. theyre probably loose again. if i do get them it will be from national and ill let you know if it is really soon. since theyre 5 minutes from my house.

CAlixj- Yeah, no worries. There's already like 10 "RE leaf bushing" threads. I did search for the shackle bushings, I'll check that out. I actually re-greased everything, and with the friction from the shackle box, it seems as though the bushings aren't as shot as I had thought.

1990- Thanks. I looked on the site. Did you just call and say they're for "Rubicon xj packs" or something? My leafs are crazy squeaky right now. A couple of those pads are in pieces. I'd love to renew the packs.

i never replaced my leaf bushings. but for the friction pads theyre just generic 2.5" wide pads. they have the little nipple to go in the hole in the RE packs. worked fine. they were nothing special. i didnt have to call. i walked in. :greensmok

Last edited:
I know this doesn't really help you, but I just went through this trying to locate bushings for my leafs.

RE and Rustys leaf bushings are Dayton Spring part number # RB-121 (frame side) and RB-71 (shackle side).

FWIW, if you have the leaf pack apart now, and you dont have time to wait for the friction pads right now, id just slather some grease between the leaves.

I just used some generic grease in a tub, stopped the squeaking, but it atracted a ton of dirt/debris. I would only do it as a temporary fix.

Better yet just use graphite paint/lube.

Back