• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header hits u-joint, suggestions?

h.curtis

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I am new here. I did a search first, but didn't really find what I am looking for. I installed a Borla header and my Jeep that has a 4" lift. The U joint on the front drive shaft hits the header when I go over a bump on the drivers side. When the front driver side shock is compressed it makes the front drive shaft move towards the header/engine. Other than putting a large dent in the pipe to make it clear is there any other suggestions to fix this? I can't blame Borla because it is the lift that makes this happen. My stock exhaust hit, but I didn't know it because I didn't put the lift on myself.

Living and learning,
Curt

The lift should acually help, mine did, it puts the axle(and thus the ujoint) down farther away from the engine. The only way the lift should make it worse is if you didn't get an adjustable trac-bar, and the axle is farther towards that side.

as far as fixing the problem I don't know that anyone has. I let mine hit a few times and it eventually made it's own dent. you could put a really long bumpstop on that side, but then it would bottom out on that before it hits the header.

I just took care of this problem last night, as not only was the Ujoint in the front DS making a dent, it was tearing a friggin hole into my header. An adjustable trackbar is the only way to go for this problem. Even with the TB disconnected and rocking the jeep back and forth for a few mins didn't center the axle, just had to manually shove everything over.
Extened bumpstops would have to be ridiculiously long and kill just about all of your travel as im taking it the joint grinds on the header under some very average driving conditions?

Thanks guys. I think I need the adjustable trackbar to solve this. I need new shocks and new rear leafs. I am getting to the point where it may be cheaper to buy a whole new lift. It might even be cheaper to do so. I see Rusty has what I need with the adjustable trackbar. It seem they are one of the few places that have that in their lifts. I am at 4" now with a sagging rear. Maybe I should just buy the 4.5" and replace the whole thing?

Any other good place to look for these parts? What do you think about buying a whole lift instead of just the parts I need?

Thanks for your help,
Curt

4 inches is gonna be 4 inches, a different lift won't move the axle over to side. Get a trac-bar before you replace a whole lift. if the back is what's sagging you can get just the leaf springs.

Back