• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what would you do?

Mitchen

NAXJA Forum User
sense i got this jeep i have been cursed with nothing but problems and i need an honest opinion about what i should do with this thing. i love it, i have the time to work on it and have most all the parts to fix it.

its an 88 5speed, on 33 10.5 superswamper tsl's open diffs 3.55's 4.5-5" lift

the first problem that i dealt with was the puke goat ba 10/5 blowing up.
swapped in a low mile replacement.

then my oil pump went out and my cam went bad. replaced that and several other things now the motor runs better than before.

now the hydraulic line from the master to the slave cylinder went bad, replaced it only to find the slave cylinder is also bad and leaking like a sieve. its an internal slave! Hasta

i have a ax-15 mated to a 231 out of a 94 they are both still bolted to the 94 motor all of which only have 380 miles so practically brand new never driven on just sat a long time. i have all the internal stuff, clutch slave cylinder etc its all still bolted together. i have the cps the crossmember and mount the drivelines the t-case linkage basically the only thing i dont have is the 94 clutch master cylinder.

i guess i just cant decide if i should give up on this thing and find a more reliable jeep and start from scratch or just buck up and throw the new stuff in the jeep. i know i wont get what i have into it if i sell it.

i really do not want to take that puke goat back out just to replace the slave cylinder it would be more worth just putting in a better transmission. figure i could do it in 2-3 days by myself. maybe less now that i know how to get the current transmission out.

thanks for any input.

I say keep it and fix it if you already know what's wrong and you know what you have replaced and just the general characteristics of it. If you buy a 'new' used car you are going to no doubt have to put money into that one to as well as learn all the new weird characteristics of it. That all translates to more time and money that it would be to fix your current jeep.

Just some thoughts from DJ.
What shape is the rest of the Jeep in?
If the metal clutch line rusted out the metal brake line may not be to far from the same fate.
What about body rust; both exterior as well as interior?
Have you peaked under any of the floor covering to see what shape the body pan is in?
What about the interior, head liner falling down, carpet shot, seats shot, power windows not working, door locks not working etc.
What shape are the brakes in are almost in need of rebuilding?
Is this Jeep intended to be your reliable daily driver or just a weekend fun toy?
The list just keeps going on; every thing is fixable or replicable.
It is your Jeep no ours only you no what your long term goals are and what facilities, tools and the limit of your capabilities are for repair work.
The question is not what would you do? But what are you going to do.
Just a few thought from a 88 Jeepers’

Back