• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad squeal when a/c compressor turns on...

Craigabooey

NAXJA Forum User
I had no a/c for about two years until I went through the whole ordeal of relacing the a/c evaporator. What a job that was! Anyway if I turn on the a/c as soon as I start the my jeep its runs fine, perfectly quiet. When I put it in drive and begin going, it squeals like crazy until I turn off the a/c. Then its quiet again. If I wait a few minutes and turn on the a/c while i am driving along, its fine and makes no noise and works great. Is it the serpentine belt I should replace or is my compressor getting ready to take a dump?

Craig

Search on here for info about the belt tension gauge(krikit). I bet your tension is to loose and the extra drag from the AC is causing the belt to slip.

no need for fancy krikit2 guages .... theres a simple test. can you turn the longest unsupported belt run JUST PAST 90degree's with your fingers? thats your goal. i have never installed a belt too loose in my entire jeepin life, if it's too loose, its *obviously* too loose to most people with common sense.

im all for specialized tools, but not the ones you have to track down to buy, use once, and keep in a drawer forever

no need for fancy krikit2 guages .... theres a simple test. can you turn the longest unsupported belt run JUST PAST 90degree's with your fingers? thats your goal. i have never installed a belt too loose in my entire jeepin life, if it's too loose, its *obviously* too loose to most people with common sense.

im all for specialized tools, but not the ones you have to track down to buy, use once, and keep in a drawer forever

Fancy? The highest piece of technology involved is a rubber band and it cost like 5 bucks at any(good) parts store.

How accurate is twisting a belt from person to person? Can a 90lb girl twist a belt to 90* as easily as a 200lb man? If someone doesn't have the hand strength they may end up loosing the belt too much, someone with decent hand strength can twist it easier and keep tightening it causing major problems. 2 seconds with a "fancy tool" eliminates all that and gives you an exact belt tension.

You could be getting drag from the compressor, causing your belt to slip. Is it oiled? does it kick on and off? Does it work?

I use the 90 degree test myself which equals = tighter than #@%& = on the gauge, 175

the truth is, a little bit off ideal belt pressure doesnt matter. maybe since your a 90lbs girl, (and have a kriket2?) you should do a calibration test for us?

:yelclap:

Having never owned a Krikit (I or II) I just go by what works. I learned on Chevy v-belts...I found out about XJ (Jeep) serpentine belts with Jeeps and my Nissan...er, uh before the 90's...tighter than %#$&.

:dunno:

Back