• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What size spacers for a Ford 8.8?

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question guys: In order to even out the width of an 8.8 with my D30 axle width, what size spacers would I need? I guess I'm "spacing" on search terms today because I came up with 2 lousy threads & none of them addressed the question.
Thx

I don't know if my front and rare are competely equal in width, but I put on 1 1/2" and they work fine with stock wheels.

Quick question guys: In order to even out the width of an 8.8 with my D30 axle width, what size spacers would I need? I guess I'm "spacing" on search terms today because I came up with 2 lousy threads & none of them addressed the question.
Thx

The 8.8 is only slightly narrower than a stock rear. I think a Dana 30 is slightly wider than a stock D35/44/8.25 as well but don't quot me on that.

A non stock wheel with slighly better back spacing is more than enough clearance will be enough to avoid a wheel spacer.

I dont run spacers on the 8.8 in my red jeep. First I ran stock steelies with 225/75/15's with like a inch or two of space between the leafs, never rubbed or anthing. My new 31's on 8" wide rims with ~3.5" of BS clear even better. Having a slightly narrower rear also helps with turning radius too.

dana 30 is 60.5
8.8 is 59.5

I am running an 8.8, actually a slightly narrower rear helps your turning radius (7/8" diff D35/8.25)... why bother with a spacer unless you are changing lug patterns?

the 8.8 is 1 1/4 narrower than the dana 35. it is 5/8 narrower per side. i believe the xj 35 444 and 8.25 are the same width.

the 8.8 is 1 1/4 narrower than the dana 35. it is 5/8 narrower per side. i believe the xj 35 444 and 8.25 are the same width.

If it is 5/8" wider than it would be 5/16" on each side narrower. :doh:

If it is actually 5/8" narrower than the D44/D35/8.25 would be 60.125" wide compared to a D30 at 60.5" wide.

I ran a 3/8" spacer when I had rims with 4.5" BS which was enough to keep the tires off the springs but it was close. I later changed to a 3.5bs rim and tookt he spacers out.

If it is 5/8" wider than it would be 5/16" on each side narrower. :doh:

If it is actually 5/8" narrower than the D44/D35/8.25 would be 60.125" wide compared to a D30 at 60.5" wide.

unless he got you with a ninja edit, you arent making any sense. clearly says 1.25" narrower and 0.625" narrower per side.

Numbers make my head hurt ... :(

REVROK said:
I am running an 8.8, actually a slightly narrower rear helps your turning radius (7/8" diff D35/8.25)... why bother with a spacer unless you are changing lug patterns?
In all my forum hopping (read: "searching") I'm sure I read several times that the 8.8 is narrower than stock Jeep rears (D35/C8.25). I also read that it's advisable to reclaim the lost width. So I was just verifying this with the experts. Here.

A non stock wheel with slighly better back spacing is more than enough clearance will be enough to avoid a wheel spacer.

I dont run spacers on the 8.8 in my red jeep. First I ran stock steelies with 225/75/15's with like a inch or two of space between the leafs, never rubbed or anthing. My new 31's on 8" wide rims with ~3.5" of BS clear even better. Having a slightly narrower rear also helps with turning radius too.

Okay so from all the above I think I can conclude that if I'm running an 8.8 behind the stock D30 with 3.75 wheels I shouldn't need spacers and I will be better able to turn? Cool.
If I'm wrong, someone save me from myself! Won't be long now ...

Thanks guys!

if youre already at 3.75" BS, even if you DO end up needing spacers they wont be very big. Go out and measure the space between your leafs and your tires. If its more than 5/8" (probably more like 1.5" to be safe) youre cherry

edit: here is your answer

I ran a 3/8" spacer when I had rims with 4.5" BS which was enough to keep the tires off the springs but it was close. I later changed to a 3.5bs rim and tookt he spacers out.

hes at 4.125" BS with those spacers, that gives you 0.375" more clearance with your 3.75" BS

Numbers make my head hurt ... :(

In all my forum hopping (read: "searching") I'm sure I read several times that the 8.8 is narrower than stock Jeep rears (D35/C8.25). I also read that it's advisable to reclaim the lost width. So I was just verifying this with the experts. Here.

Okay so from all the above I think I can conclude that if I'm running an 8.8 behind the stock D30 with 3.75 wheels I shouldn't need spacers and I will be better able to turn? Cool.
If I'm wrong, someone save me from myself! Won't be long now ...

Thanks guys!

I actually meant 7/8 per side... the D35/8.25/D44 is 60.75 vs. 59.5 (WMS to WMS) for the 8.8, so my number from memory is actually wrong. It is actually 5/8" per side. I just don't know how that can be significant. A Super 88 kit eliminates the C-clip and widens the axle WMS to WMS by 3/4 per side making it essentially stock (with nice Chromoly's thrown in). That's the only spacer I want!

I have the Warn Lockout Hub Conversion on my dana 30, making it even wider yet than the 8.8, and i run 1.5" Rough Country wheel spacers and it's like dead on perfect.

I have been running 8.8 rear with stock wheels and 31/10.50s without spacers now for 6 years without trouble. Even aired down for crawling I have never had the sidewall touch the rear springs. If and when you need new wheels and want to change the back spacing you can, but the money can stay in your pocket for now unless you are running tires wider than 10/50s. IMHO

Back