• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

simple SYE / Front D shaft question...

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User
which front drive shaft can I use in the rear with the following setup

I think I just need an auto 4.0 XJ shaft, but I need to be for sure

1996 Jeep Cherokee

4.0 HO

Automatic

231J

8.25 rear end

3" lift

SYE with shortened and fixed YOKE

also I plan to go up to 4.5"-5" eventually

Last edited:
If your using a cv yoke and cutting the t.c. output shaft you should be good. It worked for me with the same lift and drivetrain. I'm going to cut a little more off both and re-tap. Here's a pick of my setup

IMG_20110506_183715.jpg

IMG_20110506_181906.jpg

Last edited:
Total noob question as I'm about to order a SYE and was under the impression that I also need to order a new rear drive shaft. You're telling me I can use a front drive shaft from a '98 XJ in the rear? I have about 5.5ish pieced together lift.

Should be able to in most cases... install it and check and full compression and full extension to make sure it doesnt impact in on itself and as long as all the clearences are good you're ready to go. If it doesnt quite fit take it to a shop and have them cut it to length for you.

Should be able to in most cases... install it and check and full compression and full extension to make sure it doesnt impact in on itself and as long as all the clearences are good you're ready to go. If it doesnt quite fit take it to a shop and have them cut it to length for you.

If he needs a longer one, the front shaft from a v8 ZJ is about an inch longer then an XJ front shaft.

well I installed the SYE and the like new front auto 4.0 D shaft... it is working out great... it is extended around 2" at resting... I would have liked to see a little more, but there is no contact on compression and besides that it is nice to have my Jeep using the exact same shafts front and rear

Alright, I'm going reworking my suspension and going to about 6 inches total lift in the rear and adjustable up front. I'm doing Rusty's 4.5 leafs and their 1.5 inch drop shackles. Oh and an Advanced Adapters SYE. Will the XJ front shaft be long enough you think, or should I just order the Tom Woods when I order the SYE?

Alright, I'm going reworking my suspension and going to about 6 inches total lift in the rear and adjustable up front. I'm doing Rusty's 4.5 leafs and their 1.5 inch drop shackles. Oh and an Advanced Adapters SYE. Will the XJ front shaft be long enough you think, or should I just order the Tom Woods when I order the SYE?

well I have PLENTY of room to work with... at full droop my rear is still only in the middle, maybe a little further of the drive shafts range of movement...

however there is also the ZJ z8 shaft(iirc) it is about 1" longer

Hi, i'm fairly new here too. Great forum and i've learnt heaps. I bought my Cherokee Sport new in 1996 (it's a 12/1995 build ) and like all Aussie Sports, it has the up country options fitted as original equipment. Mine is a 4.0 HO, AW4 with np242 and Dana 30 / 35 fitted. I have just recently given it a suspension lift as descibed by GoJeep in these forums - thanks heaps for that. It now has a driveline vibration when i accelerate, drive fast on the highway or tow my boat. As the lift was only 2" above the upcountry original, that gives it about 3" of total lift. I have read and reread as many posts as i can find about slip yoke eliminayors and i am totally confused. Us old blokes are easily misled and confused. Sorry to ask again, but with my np242, to use a standard front drive shaft in the rear with a hack 'n tap, exactly what yoke do i need? Is it the SY1310-3500? And do i need a different housing?

Hi, i'm fairly new here too. Great forum and i've learnt heaps. I bought my Cherokee Sport new in 1996 (it's a 12/1995 build ) and like all Aussie Sports, it has the up country options fitted as original equipment. Mine is a 4.0 HO, AW4 with np242 and Dana 30 / 35 fitted. I have just recently given it a suspension lift as descibed by GoJeep in these forums - thanks heaps for that. It now has a driveline vibration when i accelerate, drive fast on the highway or tow my boat. As the lift was only 2" above the upcountry original, that gives it about 3" of total lift. I have read and reread as many posts as i can find about slip yoke eliminayors and i am totally confused. Us old blokes are easily misled and confused. Sorry to ask again, but with my np242, to use a standard front drive shaft in the rear with a hack 'n tap, exactly what yoke do i need? Is it the SY1310-3500? And do i need a different housing?

well go jeeps website talks about that... here is the link...

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoSYEconversion.htm

well go jeeps website talks about that... here is the link...

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoSYEconversion.htm

Thanks for that. I think i read that, but obviously there is not enough brain tissue left in my skull to absorb all this info. Recently i have replaced the entire exhaust system with a fabricated, mandrel bent system and removed the oem fan and fitted the GoJeep type electric conversion. Can't believe the improvement. Well worth doing. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for that. I think i read that, but obviously there is not enough brain tissue left in my skull to absorb all this info. Recently i have replaced the entire exhaust system with a fabricated, mandrel bent system and removed the oem fan and fitted the GoJeep type electric conversion. Can't believe the improvement. Well worth doing. Thanks again for your help.

I did that same thing for the fan, man it stays cool

Back