• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i did a 231 swap..

jeepgeek2002

NAXJA Forum User
swapped out the busted 242 for a 231 but now the rear drive shaft is too long..
I have a d44 rear.
Would a front drive shaft work in this case if i knock off the double cardon part? and put a regular ujoint?

i have to measure the shaft tomorrow but just seeing what others had to do

Thanks

The 231 and 242 are the same depth unless they are different generation.

Rear driveshaft length is determined by

96-down vs 96-up tailcone housing type
4wd vs 2wd (no tcase with 2wd so ignore this one)
automatic vs manual transmission (ignore if you didn't change)
d35 vs d44/8.25 rear axle (ignore if you didn't change)

Most likely explanation for different size is that the transfer cases are from different generations, so if that's the issue then you just need to find a driveshaft that matches the application.

well the 242 that was on it was from a 94 xj.. but the 231 was from a 97 xj.
i have a yoke from a YJ that has the High Angle opening that i plan on using but with the existing drive shaft and yoke its about an inch too long.

well the 242 that was on it was from a 94 xj.. but the 231 was from a 97 xj.
i have a yoke from a YJ that has the High Angle opening that i plan on using but with the existing drive shaft and yoke its about an inch too long.

That'd be the problem. The tailshaft housing is different between the two. My buddy put my old t-case(231 out of a 97) on his 94 and the shaft was too long. You could always have a driveshaft shop shorten it.

no no its my wifes jeep..
5.5" lift
dana 44 rear from xj
spartan locker front
lsd rear
4:56 gears.

im going to do a HaT. Dont think it will be ready for the crawl now..:eyes:

stupid question .. im getting a 1" block to lift the back end up a bit from the sagging RC springs.. would that extra 1" block push the axle down enough to make the drive shaft work??

i ran blocks for 2 years wheeling hard and never had a problem.

sye is truely the right way to go.. even a HaT would be cheaper.
we'll see.

thanks for the input

Back