• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange Brake System Problems

Super mud

NAXJA Forum User
First of all I posted this in the modified section since my brake system is pretty well modified from the original setup.
So I competley redid the brake system over winter while swapping my rear axle and a few other things. I have rear disc, put in the zj proportional valve springs, moved the proportional valve down on the side of the frame rail with a stainless braided line running to the front axle to hard lines and a hard line running back to the rear. I had insane problems with "bleeding procedure" where I started using a vacuum bleeder with still no luck and led to a brand new master cylinder and still nothing.

Eventually it started snowing and said screw it and went to play in the snow. The brakes worked, they just sucked and didn't grab till the end of the range. Then after starting the jeep after about 15min the pedal got very firm and powerfull which was awesome. Over a couple days the feel returned to what was a normal feel so I bled it again and it was firm for about a day and back to normal where I've been driving it without touching it till recently. Over the time I had the slightest leak off the prop valve which I gave up.

Finnaly replaced the main line and fitting and no more leak. Then about a week later the pedal got soft Exactly like the very first time. AND that same fitting started to leak or had been leaking. So new prop valve since the other looks rough in the leaking fitting, Now that plus another fitting leaks (both 1/2 20 fittings for 3/16 line, never had problems with any smaller fittings, also note all my flares are single flares which I've always seen as a standard) So after many new flares and attempts and different brand of fittings, I just got a line with a double flare which seated awesome. Also the other fittings sealed fine with a single flare and different brand fitting. I bled the master in the jeep to double check for air which there was in the rear brake resovoir cause it did run low one time. then vacuum bled all brakes in order. The 1st bled, the 2nd farthest would not stop pulling air so moved on and the fronts bled no problem. Bled the MC a second time and went around again. 2nd farthest kept pulling air and as I was about to give up it started pull straight fluid gradually.

This is pretty much what Exactly happened over winter the 1st time. So once I drive it some more I wont be supprised if the pedal gets super firm then returns to normal over the next couple days.
So why the hell is this simple hydralic system becoming the most complicated unreliable pain in the ass. Any ideas or past experiance?
Also what is the deal with single and double flares? I've never heard to only use double flare and have never had a problem with either till this experiance. Also I'm quite aware of leaks and places air can be pulled into the system. I know this isn't breaking the laws of physics and theres got to be a logical explanation for everything.

moved the proportional valve down on the side of the frame rail

Why?

Second, don't use the vacuum bleeder as it can and will pull air from around the bleeder threads. Use either a pressure bleeder on the MC or just have someone pump the pedal.

Why?

Second, don't use the vacuum bleeder as it can and will pull air from around the bleeder threads. Use either a pressure bleeder on the MC or just have someone pump the pedal.

I moved it to make routing the lines simpler and easier. it's where it's still not vulnerable. I noticed the vacuum bleeder would pull air from around the bleeders but I only cracked them where I could tell the air was decresing from the line and not getting a constant source of air. Originaly I bled the original method but with same results

Back