• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Question

truck7575

NAXJA Forum User
So I still have my a/c compressor on my engine with no lines hooked up to it. Will this damage the compressor? Do I have to worry about one day the pully freezing up and breaking my serpentine belt?

When the AC is running.

That is, when power is applied to the clutch coil. If your AC system is taken apart I don't see how you would be energizing the coil. If you pull the AC relay I think you can be pretty sure that it will not get power.

Last edited:
As of right now there are no wires or lines going to my A/C compressor. I plan to do OBA in the future but I just wasnt sure and I didnt want to burn up the compressor or go buy an A/c eliminator bracket if I didnt have too. Thanks

Just a little info when ever you are ready
AC & Continues Air Project
What's with these leaky A/C compressors? My '87 XJ with 270K on it and was needed a can of refrigerant about once very two months.
NAXJA http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1036467

Endless Air Project
http://www.grungle.com/endlessair.html
Now there are really only two types of compressors worthy of such an arrangement, the York, which is more common in the US and the Sanden units which were sold here in huge volumes on such vehicles as early model Holdens, Sigmas etc. The York is a very good unit due to its high pumping capacity and internal oil sump but it is can be difficult to fit to a TD42T due to its large size and awkward shape. The Sanden compressor on the other hand was practically made for the job and you can use either the SD7 or SD5 series compressors for an endless air setup.

If for some reason you get a really old compressor with a paper based Block Gasket and Head Gasket or you damage the seals in any way then you can get replacement rubber coated tin seals from Heatcraft (part number 8385-9611) or Jayair (part number CP 1040). A service manual for the Sanden SD series compressors can be found on the Sanden site as well as compressor specs.

Below are some useful links I found when researching this project:

Back