• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 transfer case in '94 XJ??

pvillese

NAXJA Forum User
I did some searching and found some answers but I still have a question or two.

I have a mostly stock '94 XJ sport with automatic 4.0l. The PO was running three different sizes of tires on the truck and damaged the transfer case. At least I think it is the transfer case, when I engage 4wd it makes a noise like a gear has lost a tooth, I will probably pull the diff cover on the front axle to just make sure it is not the diff.

I found a really cheap transmission and transfer case out of a 98 XJ and I'm curious if I should pick it up and put it in my XJ.

I've seen that the input splines are the same so that is good. The output on the 98 has the difference of having the seal not on the slip yoke which is good since eventually I want to put a hack and tap SYE in.

My concern is that I believe the 98 will have the electronic signal to engage and mine will have the vacuum signal. I'm not concerned about the dash light but the signal also goes to the axle to tell the axle to engage right? Is this something simple to swap?

Also right now I only plan to swap the transfer case and leave the trans sit in the garage as a backup.

Thanks for an advice.

The AW-4 probably won't work. Read this - > http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

The 98 231 probably won't fit. A 1994-1995 231 will bolt in with no modifications.

After 1992 there were no more vacuum disconnect axles.

4x4 Engagement is mechanical. 94 vs. 98, the speedometers outputs are different, rear drive shaft outputs are different. Input Spline count and length should be verified.

It made sense when I wrote it. The 98 won't fit without changes to either the T-case output or the drive shaft.

I plan to put in a SYE so I'd just get the hack and tap setup for a '98 instead of a '94 which I believe would take care of the t-case output shaft difference. With the T-case being out of the truck this will be the best time to do the SYE since I can pull the output shaft and modify it in the lathe easily.

When you say the speedometer output is different is it just a plug difference that I can re-wire or sensor swap?

For verifying the input spline does anyone have the info of what my '94 has or should have? My XJ is my daily driver and since it is fine in 2wd, I don't plan to pull the old T-case until a new one is ready or if I have to pull the old one and rebuild it or have it rebuilt.

As for the AW-4 I had my doubts but this is a good enough deal I'd be happy with having it as a parts transmission or something to trade for one that would work when I needed it. Really its a price I'd be happy paying for just the T-case.

Thanks for the help. I want to save as much on this fix as I can so I can get back to improvements.

It made sense when I wrote it. The 98 won't fit without changes to either the T-case output or the drive shaft.

He'll definitely have to change the output shaft to the older style one. As i discovered monday, its actually really easy to get the t-case apart and swap output shafts. Swap the tailshaft and housing from the 94 t-case on to the 98 case and throw it in.

Edit: this dude has access to a lathe, he'll be fine! :D

Thanks guys.

I was planning to pull the output shaft to make sure I got the hole for the hack and tap perfect so if I can still pick it up I'll pull the shaft from the old one, modify it for the SYE and put it in the new one.

Back