• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Alternator swap

parcellb

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '88 Cherokee Limited with the 4.0l and got the motor with a broken alternator bracket. It turns out that replacement mounting brackets are impossible to find since that style alternator and bracket were only used for 2-3 model years. I swapped a bracket from a '91 Cherokee and bought a new alternator from the Zone.

The original wiring plugged into the alternator and eliminated any guess work. The new alternator has two screw terminals that are not numbered. I cut the plug off of the original wiring and put on ring terminals.

I took a guess at the locations at first and got no charge with the engine running. I swapped the wires and still no charge. I have one yellow wire and one that looks like it is tan with a white stripe. Any ideas on why I am not getting a charge?

Last edited:
I might be wrong but the RENIX models use a GM style alternator w/internal regulator. The OBD1/OBD2 models are regulated by the ECU. Someone on here will know if I'm right or not and what you need to do to fix it.

RENIX style alternators are hardly difficult to find, dunno what he's talking about.

The OP was unable to find a RENIX era alt bracket so he updated it to a 91+ and a newer style alt. Now he is not getting a charge. He probably needs an external regulator.

sorry, should have read the post more better.

but... those arent rare either though, i could go get 10 sets from the junkyards tommorrow...

The OP was unable to find a RENIX era alt bracket so he updated it to a 91+ and a newer style alt. Now he is not getting a charge. He probably needs an external regulator.

I did a local and online JY search and came up with nothing. A guy in Phoenix had one left and I bought it for $50. It broke in the same place when I bolted it to the alternator. The aluminum blew out on one of the tapped holes.

Back