• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I remove my aussie locker from my c-clip 8.25?

HandBuiltXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need to remove the axles shafts from my aussie locker equipped chrsler 8.25 29 spline c-clip axle. I can not figure out how to get the c-clips out. Anyone got any experience with this? I don't have the installation instructions due to buying this axle second hand and can't seem to find them online. I am waiting on an email from aussie about it. And their tech guy mentioned soemething about maybe bending up a coat hanger to get at them, but i am just a little lost.

Thank you for any help you give me,
John
aka HandBuiltXJ

Well if it's anything like the powertrax, which i should be it really sucks. You cant get anything in the little "window" to pull the clip out, the best way I have gotten it out is by pointing the windown down and spinning/pulling/pushing the axle shaft to get it to drop.

EDIT: and you do have the cross pin out right? Because it pushes the shafts out enough to keep the c clip from lining up with the window.

yeah, just have to shake and shake the axle with the window down, unless you have a magnetic pen or something skinny enough to get down that hole

Yeah, i did have the cross pin out. I am glad to hear that you all were successful in getting it out. I will put more effort into it this weekend. Thank you again for you inputs.

It can be difficult to remove the C clip with a magnet due to the surface tension of the gear lube. Try spraying some brake cleaner on the C clip to dissolve the gear lube.
This has worked for me!!

Pull the 4 springs to get some more space between the middle gears and the side gears. Orient the carrier so the C- Clip space is away from you pointing towards the pinion. You should be able to see the ends of the c-clip through the two peices of the locker. Move the axle to align the c-clip and use a piece of U shaped wire to kock the clip right out. You can then pull the center prices out and the other c-clip will be exposed.

Once you do it a few times its very easy.

I got the first Cclip out but can only get 2 of the 4 pins to slide over so I can pull the gears out.....any tips on getting the pins out??

I have a no-slip.

I flattened some welding rod and put a 90* bend at the end of it, slid the flat part under the C, making sure the C was centered to come out and jiggled it. let me know if that makes sense. What a pain!

Back