• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Krawler vs. Ballistic Joints

SC Rednek

NAXJA Forum User
upgrading the heims on my Rock Krawler 3-link kit from 14mm to 5/8". Just thought I'd show everyone the difference between these brands (the 9/16" and 5/8" ballistic joints are the same size as far as I know, it's not just a bigger joint because it's a bigger bore).

$38 vs. $54, I'd say the ballistic joints are definetely worth the extra cost.
P6040046.jpg

So far so good, I've got the driver's lower link done, I've got the new joint in the upper link but haven't remounted it yet, it got dark. Only issues so far, because the shank is so much longer and farther from the bore on the ballistic joints, I had to cut down the shank. The other problem is the grease zerk has to be turned down or it hits the top of the bracket. (All the heims are on the frame side brackets, not the axle side)

I'll post a picture when it's done.

Last edited:
Im about to buy the RK 3 link, how long did the old joints last? Are you upgrading the size because you felt the old ones was too weak or because replacing is upgrading?

anyone who says rk joints are better than ballistic, is smoking crack, the rk's dont even have a set screw...... thats a XXXXing a JOKE....

the only probrem with ballistic joints, is the hallow race they sell em with.

Why??

I'll stick with my Johnny Joints, but wouldn't hesitate to run Ballistic joints.

johnny joints are a different story altogether

anyone who says rk joints are better than ballistic, is smoking crack, the rk's dont even have a set screw...... thats a XXXXing a JOKE....

i'll pass you the pipe, but my friend's and i have put a lot of hard miles on RK joints without failure. and the race is half the joint, i'd rather get something thats better in the first place.

Why are you changing them out?

I bought their 3-link setup USED a while back, so the joints were a bit worn (pieces of the race coming out around the ball). Also, they're 14mm because they're meant to be used on the stock axle link brackets, so only slightly smaller than 9/16" but enough that you can't use 9/16" bolt. Also the frame side brackets were slightly wallowed out.

Since I need to build a ladder bar anyway, I decided the solution was to put new, 5/8" heims up front and redrill the holes back to round. The old RK joints are going out back on the ladder bar.

i guess i smoke crack?

i have a pair of ungreased, untightened, rock krawler joints with gaping holes where the grease fittings used to be on my last 3 rigs that have seen every kind of terrain and weather for the past 6 years.

still tight as the day i installed them

RK joints are made to not be greased

mine are old and came with grease fittings. but i never got around to greasing them. and they hold up without grease so i cant complain.

i have had about a year of issues with my ballistic joints. had to adjust them every couple of weeks, and they made really bad noises and whatnot.

but i can't complain too much because dave at ballistic is helpin me out sending me all new stuff.

mine are old and came with grease fittings. but i never got around to greasing them. and they hold up without grease so i cant complain.

grease fittings? or a service screw?

Rock Krawler said:
The Krawler Joints are unique when it comes to service. We do not use or recommend grease! Grease attracts more dirt and debris then it is worth while doing more harm to the joint itself. Our Krawler Joints are also to tight for grease which is designed to be used in flow through application. We simply recommend removing the service screw, putting in a few drops of 3 and 1 oil and then replacing the service screw everytime you perform an oil change.

upgrading the heims on my Rock Krawler 3-link kit from 14mm to 5/8". Just thought I'd show everyone the difference between these brands (the 9/16" and 5/8" ballistic joints are the same size as far as I know, it's not just a bigger joint because it's a bigger bore).

$38 vs. $54, I'd say the ballistic joints are definetely worth the extra cost.
P6040046.jpg

That Heim is way better looking than the Jeep its going on! :D

Im about to buy the RK 3 link, how long did the old joints last? Are you upgrading the size because you felt the old ones was too weak or because replacing is upgrading?

I'm at about 2 years on mine. They came with holes for zerks, but no zerks. I went out and bought some, but couldn't thread them in all the way. So we got out in as far as we could and squoze some grease in there. No idea if any actually made it in, but they're still running good today.

Back