• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear brakes lock up on HARD braking...

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User
my rear brakes are locking up on hard braking... my guess is that something is wrong... it's not too bad with light braking... but I was on the highway running about 70mph on the speedo (more like 85... if you ask the officer, who was kind enough to let me slide, says he made the same mistake in his Jeep 25 years ago)

anyways I had to hit the brakes REALLY fast and the rears locked up... it caused my rear end to start to spin/slide

it's almost like the fronts work perfectly but the rears do nothing until you are on them hard, then the grab full force... kinda like the rears are an on/off type setup, instead of a gradual thing

what could be causing this?

Pull the drums off and have a look. I had a blown wheel cylinder for quite a while that would cause mine to lock up on hard braking. It also gave me troubles if I got stuck in traffic and the brakes got hot. Not to mention the usual brake grab of drum brakes on a damp/wet morning was amplified by the messed up wheel cylinder too.

I despise drum brakes with a passion, but if you've got the right tools they're not as bad to work on.

Back