• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Here are my MIL codes, can someone help me out?

NattyBoh

NAXJA Forum User
I scanned the jeep today and this is what I came back with

P0118- engine coolant temp sensor (1 circuit high )
/\ My gauge doesnt work on the cluster neither, so Im guessing the CTS died?

P0700- Trans control system

P0705- Trans range sensor A circuit ( PRNDL Input )
/\ Guessing that means park,reverse,neutral,drive,low inputs?

Also I just took the jeep out and never really paid attention to the shifting, its smooth but sometimes it hangs up when starting to move from a stop. And the fluid was like not red anymore haha when I installed my cooler two days ago. Should I go ahead and drain and fill and do that a few times? Could bad fluid cause funky shifting?

Does this mean the AW4 is dying?

1. Replace coolant temp sensor. Verify connector is CLEAN and wiring is good before you do that.

2. Most likely the neutral safety switch. Here is a good link to an article on "refurbishing" the neutral safety switch.

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

3. What is the HISTORY of fluid changes on your transmission? If you are unsure, keep dropping the fluid from the pan and refilling with fresh Dex/Merc III compatible fluid until the fluid stays red. Drive for a while between changes.

Thanks guys, its a 97 XJ 4.0l AW4

And yeah from more and more research it says it is most likely the NSS. Also, I am VERY unsure on the intervals of the fluid changes. I was thinking about just doing that, drop pan first, new gasket/filter. Then fill and then drive, then drain and fill and repeat.

I scanned the jeep today and this is what I came back with

P0118- engine coolant temp sensor (1 circuit high )
/\ My gauge doesnt work on the cluster neither, so Im guessing the CTS died?

P0700- Trans control system

P0705- Trans range sensor A circuit ( PRNDL Input )
/\ Guessing that means park,reverse,neutral,drive,low inputs?

Also I just took the jeep out and never really paid attention to the shifting, its smooth but sometimes it hangs up when starting to move from a stop. And the fluid was like not red anymore haha when I installed my cooler two days ago. Should I go ahead and drain and fill and do that a few times? Could bad fluid cause funky shifting?

Does this mean the AW4 is dying?[/QUO
your temp gauge sensor is probably unplugged. its the little white sensor at the back of yout head/valve cover

The P0700 and P0705 codes are generated by the TCM not knowing where the NSS is. Over time the dielectric grease cooks, gets hard and prevents the spring loaded contacts from making. It is, maybe, a 1 hour job to remove, clean, regrease, re-install and adjust the switch.

As it is a 97, the Coolant Temperature Sensor is in the thermostat housing. Check the connection. If you have access to a good ODBII scanner, it can read the coolant temp. This would at least isolate the problem. The gauges run on the CCD bus. The PCM sends data to the cluster and the cluster decides what all of the gauges should be displaying.

hey guys,
Well funny this is for sure, I replaced the CTS in the front of the motor ( I only have one ) by the thermostat. And the CEL went off. I havent scanned it to see if it was still throwing that 0700 codes or not yet. But gauge works and CEL is off. haha. Weird.

yeah I do know about the NSS but the CTS is what fixed it. I did try to pull the NSS but its rusted on the shaft. I bought a new one. I found one on ebay for 49.99 shipped. Cant beat that, and like 15-20 were sold. So for 50 bucks, I couldnt loose IMO.

When it comes, ( the NSS ) I'll break the other one off and replace it. But the NSS on there now isn't moving. Yes I PBlaster'ed it and nothing.

Back