• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Automatic shift knobs

buffalo

NAXJA Forum User
This may sound like a dumb question but are there any after market shift knobs that will fit a 96 XJ, my T handle sucks and half the time I have to play with it to release so I can drive it, plus I would like something different.

93-98 Grand Cherokee, ZJ. 99 was the first year of the WJ, which won't work. If you can find one from a 1998 5.9L ZJ it will be leather wrapped. Drake Offroad also makes a billet shift knob for the TJ, which may work on the XJ. http://www.drakeoffroad.com/

Last edited:
Try adjusting the shifter cable. I had a tough time moving the shifter until I made the adjustment.
I don’t remember the procedure off hand but it was something like put it in part and push the button.
Look it up in the manual.

93-98 Grand Cherokee, ZJ. 99 was the first year of the WJ, which won't work. If you can find one from a 1998 5.9L ZJ it will be leather wrapped. Drake Offroad also makes a billet shift knob for the TJ, which may work on the XJ. http://www.drakeoffroad.com/

Talyn, have you tried one yourself, the ZJ?

I picked one up from the JY on Friday and I caouldn't seem to slam it on far enough for it to work.

I have a 5.9 ZJ shift handle on mine. I did have to open it up a bit with a dremel to get it to fit. Seems that the ZJ shift rod thing is a big smaller than ours. But it feels nice, its a better feeling with the beefy leather wrapped 5.9 handle than that thin plastic thing.

IIRC I opened up much past that ribbed area. One day I need to measure the shift rod on my ZJ and on the XJ to compare. Also, if you look down the bore of the ZJ shift handle you will see some tangs on it.. maybe those are what I removed. I don't recall what exactly I removed as I did it years ago and wasn't exactly scientific about it, but I do know I was using the Dremel flex drive and went pretty far down. Perhaps you could just use a drill bit.

I just finished it and am drinking a beer. A .676" drill bit run in the handle until it just nicks those locating tabs.
You wanna leave the tabs or the knob could rotate.

Last edited:
The RockShifter looks like something I am looking for, is it all that is needed to change out the stock one?. Does it have the graphics that shows what gear you are in.

Bolts right into the sock location with the stock bolts, you can still use the console. And yes there are graphics, the website just hasn't been update with better pics.
Here a pic of one with a new Baja II attached. This is a custom one and has a longer shift lever and a few other oddities.
LatestModsToyota016.jpg

Back