• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wanting to convert to electric fan... questions

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User
this will be on my 1996 Cherokee Sport 4.0HO

I am planning to use a thermoswitch from another car... and use the theroswitch to kick a relay, relay to power the fan

but I do not know a few things:

what temp should the fan kick on? 180? 190? 200? 210? 100000000015.675?\

any ideas what cheap thermoswitches would work?

wheree should I place the thermoswitch to get a good coolant temp reading?

I have mine set to come on around 190 and it goes off at 180. I have my temp sensor right next to the radiator inlet in the fins. The kind that fits in the upper radiator hose is good too. Since this will be your primary cooling I would not go cheap on antthing, especially the fans themselves. I suggest you take a look at the kit from dirtbound offroad. This kit has high quality fans at a reasonable price. Don't expect the electrical setup to cool quite as well as a properly functioning stock setup but it will come close.

I would have the fan kick in a little sooner then 190. The clutch fan provides air for the engine compartment at idle and slow speeds. The power steering pump AC compressor battery alternate all benefit from a little extra air when going real slow

All the good switches nowadays are metric. The one I used for my conversion is 14mm. I drilled and tapped a brass pipe nipple and put it in the upper radiator hose. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1035194

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!! off to the junk yard!!!

thank you so much for this

the funny thing is my buddy has a few of these laying around... says he has a few of these temp sensor laying around, so I am half way there

Back