• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for advice on shock up grade and rear axle swap

gthom79

NAXJA Forum User
I have to questions. 1: I have an 88 XJ with an 8 inch long arm lift. I'm thinking about getting new shocks and would like some suggestions on what to possible get. 2: I saw an 88 XJ were they left the D30 front axle in and swapped the rear D35 with a D44. I was thinking about changing my axel(s) before I saw this one. What are your thoughts on this? Would it be better if I swapped both, and am I better off finding used axle(s) and rebuilding them or buying new one(s) from a company?

1. Search, lower your xj, 8" is to high, Bilstien 5100 and 5150 have good reviews
2. Search, if you have a vacuum disconnected front axle (dana 30) find a used axle from another 92+ cherokee with ABS for stronger axle shafts. An xj dana 44 can be hard to find but are a great swap. You can also use a 97+ 8.25 rear axle or a 8.8 rear axle out of a ford explorer (will need some welding.
3. It's up to you whether or not it is worth buying axles from a company. My opinion is to rebuild two axles.

Step one is to measure your rig for the correct shock length. Remove your shocks and flex the suspension and measure from Mount to Mount for both compressed and extended lengths. I'd also measure the static height to help determine how much up travel you need.

If you can find a D44 from a 87-89 XJ, good for you! They're getting harder to find and more expensive too. It is a great upgrade but I would suggest replacing the stock leafspring perches with Anti-Wrap perches. You can also get a better pinion angle at the same time.

Another easy upgrade is a Chrysler 8.25" from a 97+ XJ. It has 1 less spline on the shafts and they're .1" smaller than a D44 shaft. Yes it's a c-clip axle, but a disc brake conversion will keep a busted axle in place long enough to limp to the side of the trail to make repairs.

I'm sure the 8.8 crowd will chime in shortly.;)

I have 35's on there now. I would like to keep that size, if possible. It currently has the stock 35c rearend with 4.88 gears. I bought it with an 8" lift and everything already done. I've thought about going with the chrysler or ford explorer axle. I just wasn't sure what the best option would be.

Back