• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fighting death wobble - LCA/UCA play?

xjstock++

NAXJA Forum User
I recently installed a 3.5" OME lift on my 2001 XJ and I've been fighting death wobble. I've searched a ton on death wobble causes & cures, and my best guess is mine is caused by bad LCA/UCA bushings.

I've got a new JKS adjustable track bar, just replaced a tie rod end, new steering dampener, and had some offset upper ball joints installed (old ones were shot and camber was corrected from -0.5deg to 0.3 deg). Had my tires balanced, got an alignment (Toe +0.11 deg, Camber +0.3deg, Caster -5.5 deg). Everything is torqued to spec and doesn't move when the steering wheel is moved side to side.

I noticed today that my stock control arms have a slight amount of play - I can twist all 4 of them slightly (maybe 1/8") while the jeep is sitting on the ground. I can't move them front to back. Is this amount of play normal or could this be the cause of my DW?

Yeah, I know my castor is off. Could this contribute to my DW? To get back to spec I'd need +10deg change which I imagine can only be solved with adjustable LCAs. Any thoughts?

That bad caster has to be part of it. Can't be safe driving it like that.

My mistake, my caster is +5.5*, which puts me just slightly under spec. Sorry for the misinformation. I could still probably use shims. Any thoughts about the play in the control arms? Is it normal to be able to twist them slightly?

Worn control arm bushings was the cause of my death wobble. I replaced them with cheap aftermarket bushings and the problem went away. Unfortunately a year later I am noticing the bushings are wearing again. No death wobble yet. Next time I will put in factory bushing and see if they last longer.

Back