• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pinion angle question

98redxj31

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so the pinion bearing went in the rear end in my 98 cherokee has about 3 1/2" of lift. Before this i had no driveline vibes at all. It has a 1" t case drop and had 4 degree axle shims.

When i got my new axle i decided i didnt want to run the shims because it kept breakin centre pins. so i figured i would just cut the spring pads off and turn them 4 degrees instead of using the shims. I used my angle finder thing and set my new axle up on jack stands.

If i put the angle finder on the spring pads and leveled them then put it on the pinion the pinion points up at 10 degrees factory. So i cut the pads off turned them 4 degress and welded them back on. This put my pinion at 14 degrees when the pads are level. I then put the rear end back in and it vibrates like hell from like 10km and stays there at all speeds.

What did i do wrong? anything else that could be causeing this? Maybe the 4 degree shims were more or less than 4 degrees. I would measure them but i gave them to my buddy to put in his rig.

I did some reading online and it said the output shaft of the trans and the yoke on the rear end should be about the same. i put my angle finder on the output of the trans and its like 6 degrees pointing down and the yoke on the rear end is like 9 pointing up. If i cut the pads again and turn the pinion down 3 degrees this should fix my problem right? That would put me almost back to the stock location. I'm confused and that probably just confused the hell outa you too. Anyone who can help me out here would be awsome haha.

Try looking on the Tom Woods webpage:

http://www.4xshaft.com/

On the tec info page, look at the Geometry 101 link. This explains it better then I ever could.

Worth while to read the other articles there too.

'Hope that helps.

Back