• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dies, Stalls.

Eliminator89

NAXJA Forum User
Contiuing problem. '01 XJ, 4.0 AW4, NP231, all stock, about 125K miles, street drivien, not abused.

Jeep was driving just fine, then loses power and dies. I pull over and restart but it idles rough and slow and gets rougher and slower util it dies. Restart several times with same rough, slow idle. It won't rev up at all. A couplr of times while depressing accelerator pedal, it backfires through the throttlebody.After a couple more restart tries, It restarts and runs fine.

I make it another mile down the road and it does it again. After several restart attempts, it refires, runs fine and I continue on my way. Then as I reach my friend's place (about another mile), it does it again.

After a few hours (working on a hotrod I'm building), I try to go home. It restarts, idles slow and rough, won't rev, idle gets rougher and slower, then it dies. It does this several times, then starts and runs fine. Revs good, idles smooth. I put it in gear and make it about 10' and the rough running returns. I put it in neutral, it idles rough and slow and dies. I take his XJ home leaving mine there.

It starts fine, pretty much everytime I try it. But there's no power, no ability to rev the engine, it idles rough and slow and then that gets worse and in a few seconds, its dead.

I had this problem a couple months ago. It died on the highway, after a few attempts to restart it (it restarted several times but with a rough, slow idle and no power) it restarted and was fine the rest of the day. Was fine for several days. Then while driving, it died again but restarted before I even got stopped and ran fine again. Then about a week later, it stumbles while driving but never got bad that time.

I replaced the CKS. See my previous post: This is fun?

So, here I am today. Stumbles badly and dies. Will restart but idles rough and slow which quickly gets worse and then it dies. While idling rough and slow, it won't rev. Problem started about 2 months ago, seemed to heal itself, then reappeared a couple times, the CKS was replaced and all seemed good until today.

There are no codes. I have an Auto Xray unit. There are no stored cades, no CEL.

It seems there is spark and fuel or it wouldn't restart and run at all. Spark timing or injector timing seems to be way off during these spells. With the new CKS, I am leaning towards a bad/intermittant CPS. But there is no code.

Fuel pump runs normally at start up. I turn the key on and hear the pump run for a second or two. Sounds good, smooth. That was replaced about 14 months ago.

Anyone have any ideas about this? HELP!

Gotta rule fuel pressure in or out early in the troubleshooting process. And it absolutely must be done with a gauge. For an 01, you should have 49 psi, plus or minus 5 psi.

And you should test WHEN symptomatic. Testing when it is running well may not yield the data you are looking for.

BTW, what brand fuel pump did you install 14 months ago? Hope it wasn't an Airtex. They are not exactly known for great reliability IMHO. I stay away from this brand like the plague.

Crankshaft position sensor issue most of the time, does NOT set a check engine light / set a code.

Last edited:
Oh, it certainly IS an Airtex. Not knowing at the time what ones are good or bad, i just HAD to get the bad brand. I'll pick up a gauge tomorrow, i should have one anyway.

I miss carburetors....

i appreciate the help folks.

May have found the culprit. Caught it while it was having one of its spells and had only 18lbs fuel pressure. I had checked it earlier and had 45# with just the key on, 49# with the engine idling. Drove 65 miles home with no problem, then when I restarted to leave WallyWorld, it did its stumbling routine. Out came the new, shiny fuel pressure gauge and only got 18# this time.

So, Bosch or Delphi? Isn't Bosch the OEM supplier? I'm leaning towards Bosch.

So, Bosch or Delphi? Isn't Bosch the OEM supplier? I'm leaning towards Bosch.

A new fuel pump assembly should resolve this.

I ALWAYS seek a Bosch fuel pump. They are the absolute best in the business.

And your experience is just another nail in the coffin of Airtex pumps. They just do NOT hold up. Many parts stores
mistakenly offer them because they have an attractive price point.

As we are all seeing, price point is really not a good thing to shop fuel pumps on!

Just a footnote on Bosch. I have a 1965 Case 830D tractor with a mechanical Bosch fuel pump. They are said to be, literally, impossible to wear out. It is one of the reasons old Case tractors are popular as a fuel pump for a diesel tractor could run $800. My old tractor is only worth 2500.

This says a couple things: One, that Bosch has been a supplier of pumps to all OEMs since before Tag was a dog and Two, they know how to make good pumps.

Back