• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 plug for tail to prevent losing fluid when towing, installing?

seanyb505

NAXJA Forum User
97 AX15, 2wd. Is there such a thing that you can plug up the end of the transmission while towing, taking the engine in and out, and while the tranny is at steep angles while the ds is out to prevent losing transmission fluid? I'm told about one, but no one knows where to get it and general parts stores don't carry such a thing.

You may be able to find one at a trans. shop.

I use an old driveshaft, knocked the U-joint out of the slipyoke end, use that as a plug when pulling/installing motor/trans/tcase

soda bottle with the top cut off and elec tape, in seriousness ive seen them at harbor fright

Uhaul wants you to take the ds out to tow on a dolly. I figure it's easier to follow their rules than deal with potential consequences. Thanks for the replies, I'll look into those. If worse comes to worse I'll just use my own yolk and replace the u-joint.

U-Haul,.... ugh. they have some of the worst ... uh ill stop.
I try not to deal with them at all. I have in a bad case where i threw a u-joint on the rear driveshaft and had to pull myself home via front wheels that i put a zip-lock bag over the tail housing and zip-tied it on. itll still fall out but you wont have a mess. I suppose like was mentioned that a tranny shop would be a good place. They might have some that come in the tail-cone when they get shipped.

I towed an XJ 300 miles on a U-haul tow dolly. I pulled the jeep up on the dolly and removed the driveshaft from the rear axle and tied it up. I had it chained up and then a ratcheting strap holding it forward.

Back