• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long shot.... SJ Wagoneer tie vs. XJ Cherokee tie rod

T to the B

NAXJA Forum User
Long shot.... SJ Wagoneer tie rod vs. XJ Cherokee tie rod

I'm wondering if this part is actually made. I've had horrendous luck searching for this, because early XJ's were "Wagoneer's", so i'm getting all kinds of crossed feedback.

I'm using an 85 Waggy D44 front axle in my XJ. I'm using the Waggy LOONG tie rod that goes knuckle to knuckle. This rod has the larger tapered hole over on the passenger side for the tie rod end from the pitman arm to connect to. This hole is too large for the the XJ stuff.

Currently, i've completed welded up that tie rod hole and redrilled/tapered it to fit the OE XJ tie rod.

I would like to know if I could find a tie rod end that would screw into my OE XJ rod, but have the larger tapered stud to fit the OE Waggy tie rod hole.

If i've confused the hell out of anyone, i'm sorry.....but I can provide pictures if necessary.

I've also though of using the OE Waggy tie rod to pitman arm rod....but that would leave me with needing to possibly ream out the OE XJ pitman arm. Do they make an aftermarket(drop)pitman for a Waggy that would fit the splines of the XJ steering box?

Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited:
Re: Long shot.... SJ Wagoneer tie rod vs. XJ Cherokee tie rod

I'm wondering if this part is actually made. I've had horrendous luck searching for this, because early XJ's were "Wagoneer's", so i'm getting all kinds of crossed feedback.

I'm using an 85 Waggy D44 front axle in my XJ. I'm using the Waggy LOONG tie rod that goes knuckle to knuckle. This rod has the larger tapered hole over on the passenger side for the tie rod end from the pitman arm to connect to. This hole is too large for the the XJ stuff.

Currently, i've completed welded up that tie rod hole and redrilled/tapered it to fit the OE XJ tie rod.

I would like to know if I could find a tie rod end that would screw into my OE XJ rod, but have the larger tapered stud to fit the OE Waggy tie rod hole.

If i've confused the hell out of anyone, i'm sorry.....but I can provide pictures if necessary.

I've also though of using the OE Waggy tie rod to pitman arm rod....but that would leave me with needing to possibly ream out the OE XJ pitman arm. Do they make an aftermarket(drop)pitman for a Waggy that would fit the splines of the XJ steering box?

Thanks for any and all help.

The waggy Tie rod end will not work as it is too short. If you get the longer Chevy type TRE it will give you the needed threads to make the OEM tierod/drag link work.

I think it is a part number like ES2027L or ES2027R (L is for left hand thread and R is for Right hand thread).

Get another pitman arm and taper it using the Snap-on (or equivelent) reamer. I thinik the part number is R121.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=8154&group_ID=946

You will like/need the available range that the larger chevy TRE will travel and it's strength and reliability. I have been running these for years.

A little more background on my "pitman arm to tie rod" modified bar:

I took my IronRockOffroad XJ tie rod bar ( http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...=IROR&Product_Code=IR-SHDTR&Category_Code=XST ) , cut a section out of it, welded it back together and sleeved it to make it work. Length is not an issue.

DSC01042.jpg

Basically, from my picture below, I just need the threads of the XJ tie rod(pictured right), and the tapered shank of the Waggy tie rod(left)

DSC01044.jpg

XJ tie rod in Waggy tapered hole:

DSC01043.jpg

FWIW, It is called a drag link, not a "pitman arm to tie rod" bar.

Why didn't you just use the SJ stock drag link and retaper the pitman arm to the larger size.

You seem to be going ass backwards on this but I just realized you were from Lenoir City. :confused1 (I grew up in Knoxville ;) )

Call up Mike at parts mike and find out what TRE would thread in to what you have and would fit the larger taper on the tierod. Call him at (530)885-0673

FWIW, It is called a drag link, not a "pitman arm to tie rod" bar.

Thanks...I have no problem admitting i'm Jeep illiterate. :helpme:

Why didn't you just use the SJ stock drag link and retaper the pitman arm to the larger size.

You seem to be going ass backwards on this but I just realized you were from Lenoir City. :confused1 (I grew up in Knoxville ;) )

Well....I found this axle bastardized and hacked into the front of a 92 Nissan pick up truck at Pull-A-Part. If you saw the "toothpick" they were using as the drag link....you'd know why I passed. ;)

As for the Lenoir City thing....i'm hoping NOT to be featured on that "scarysteering.com" website when it's all said and done. :)

Call up Mike at parts mike and find out what TRE would thread in to what you have and would fit the larger taper on the tierod. Call him at (530)885-0673

Thanks for the contact! I'll see if I can confuse him. :cheers:

Thanks for the contact! I'll see if I can confuse him. :cheers:

Mikes a good guy. Just tell him what TRE you have and you want the same but with a 1 TON taper and he'll know ;)

Good luck. :cheers:

Back