• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ratcheting rear diff

Wallyman

NAXJA Forum User
Forgive my ignorance on this one but i purchased this XJ, replaced the clutch, got a brand new exhaust and took care of some negligence. I had the rear tires off the ground for a parking brake adjustment and noticed a ratcheting sound from the diff when spinning tires. Is this the "lunch-box" locker?
Its a D35...Thats my only question. It doesnt really make much noise during regular driving. I only noticed it when free-wheeling the tires off the ground.

I'll do that once i get it inspected and tagged. priorities.
It sounds just like a roller coaster heading up that first big hill.
The P-PO does have about 6 or 7 inches of lift on it, 33 x 12.5 M/Ts, the cable operated axle-shaft device installed. Its a possibility he also threw in a locker. Of course that was the previous-previous owner. Gotta love the barter boards. People trade for something, then realize they dont want it and trade again which CAN be a good place to get stuff but you lose contact with whoever may have modded it.

Real simple: put the rear tires on jack stands. trans in park(auto) or first or reverse(std) Ebrake OFF. Spin one tire. If the other tire tries to spin in the opposite direction, you have something with spider gears: open, limited slip.
If there's a locker in there, neither tire will want to move at all.(maybe an inch or so, both in the same direction) Depending on the locker, and the amount of pre-load built into it, the tire you're trying to spin may ratchet unsteadily but will require continuous force to keep it moving.

sure will, bc if it is locked the D35 will explode.

Yeah, i caught that real quick. Then ill drain the oil and run across town to check the engine.

I agree on the d35 + locker = ready to swap axle. Theres no telling whats left of the strength in there. I want to attempt to find a D44 upgrade. Pending funds of course. Its a DD (small town). Well the Jeep and the Sportster.

Thx..

I’m doubting that a locker will ratchet that badly just free spinning the wheels, unless something is wrong. I think that if the Jeep doesn’t bob and weave a bit and ratchet while driving that the 35 is getting ready to retire haha.

Back