• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welded nut in frame for Leaf spring bolt is stripped!!! what to do???

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 jeep cherokee i am installing a lift on

I have remvoed the leaf spring with major trouble removing the front leaf spring bolt and now some of the threads on the welded nut are stripped

I dont really know what to do?

if i drill and retap it the bolt will be to big for the sleave and bushing

any suggestions or advice would be great

i worked a bolt in and out a bit i might get lucky..if not I will try a heli coil and then worse case scenario i get my buddy to come over with his welder..

just not sure how i will remove the nut as I dont have access to a torch

i was thinking about that..

I really need to get my jeep back on the road so im not doing it right away. Im planning on adding a better leaf spring in the future..im not happy with the way it sits with add-a-leaf

ya I have a set of shackles i was planning on throwing on but im not ready to have it lifted 5inches right now..

I still need to get new shocks, brake lines, install SYE, install adjustable control arms. and fix or upgrade my steering set up

ther is no easy way to weld that XXXXen nut back on. even if you do get a hole to access it. getting a welder nozzle in there to get a good weld or tack on it is damn near impossible. im looking at the poly performance brakets.

I thought standard procedure is cut a small access hole below the weld nut, knock the weld nut out and replace with a new nut. With the access hole you don't need the replacement nut welded in as you can hold it with a wrench. The access hole will then act as a drain and not let water build up which caused the rust in the first place.

When I did mine, I cut a hole through the floor. I did not want to mess with the frame rails.

Back