• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Optima YellowTop battery for Renix era XJ.....

TRNDRVR

NAXJA Forum User
No listing on their website, but for those who run Optima batteries in the stock location in their Renix era XJs, which one are you using?

What is the difference between late model and early model XJ batteries? Size? CCA?

Prepping my XJ for long term storage in the cold and have a chance to get a YellowTop.

Thanks!

My yellow top was a dissapointment. It lasted two weeks past the 2 year warranty.

I'd go with a Stinger battery, but if you go Optima.. go with a blue top. A battery suggested for a later model will work just fine in the Renix. I currently have Costco's Kirkland 1000CA battery. Worth every penny. If you are storing it, you will want to disconnect the battery anyways.

why would you leave the battery in the vehicle for long term storage in the cold? it doesnt make sense to me to buy an expensive brand new battery to let it sit. batteries like to be cranked on they dont like to sit.

I have the D 34/78 in my XJ about 3 years. The XJ have been sitting since August of 2009 and have not been started. I have a 1.6 AMP solar charger as a battery maintainer because I have been out of the US all that time. February I walked into the driveway and using the remote start the XJ started right up. The secret is maintianing the battery at or near full charge.

Here is some information from Optima site:-

Battery Storage

Because of the high purity lead grid in the OPTIMA battery, it has a self-discharge rate much lower than conventional flat-plate batteries. This means the OPTIMA can sit for longer periods retaining enough charge to start your vehicle. Depending on storage temperature, the OPTIMA can usually sit for 8 to 12 months and start most vehicles.
When possible, store your battery in a cool, dry location. Check the battery voltage every 6 months and charge if it falls below 12.6 volts.
Remember, newer vehicles with on-board electronics such as computers, LCD screens, game systems, GPS units, clocks, etc., require battery power to retain system memory while the vehicle is parked. If the vehicle is to be stored for long periods you should use a maintenance charger to compensate for this drain. This charger should be voltage regulated between 13.2 - 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum. On older vehicles, without electronics, disconnect the battery cables when the vehicle is not being used for extended periods.

why would you leave the battery in the vehicle for long term storage in the cold? it doesnt make sense to me to buy an expensive brand new battery to let it sit. batteries like to be cranked on they dont like to sit.

gonna have to join bails on this one, anything over 2-3 weeks, and you'll want to disconnect that optima... or put on a tender, they do not like repeated slow drains.

No listing on their website, but for those who run Optima batteries in the stock location in their Renix era XJs, which one are you using?

What is the difference between late model and early model XJ batteries? Size? CCA?

Prepping my XJ for long term storage in the cold and have a chance to get a YellowTop.

Thanks!

The BCI 34/78 battery will fit neatly under the RENIX hood.

As far as long-term storage, you're going to want to keep a "tender" on the thing anyhow - any rechargeable battery will self-discharge over time (Hell, any chemical battery will self-discharge over time rechargeables are just faster...) but a tender or a reasonably smart trickle charger will see to that rather handily.

12VDC Optimas are all, I believe, BCI 34/78 sized.

I'm going to park this rig at a friends house in Homer, AK. My plans are to put a battery disconnect on the negative battery cable and put some kind of tender on it, whether it be solar or one I have to plug in. Right now I'm leaning towards a solar so I don't have to impose myself on my friend any more then I already am by storing my rig there.

I hear/see the 34/78 is an inch higher and might not fit under the hood.

Thanks for the answers.

I'm going to park this rig at a friends house in Homer, AK. My plans are to put a battery disconnect on the negative battery cable and put some kind of tender on it, whether it be solar or one I have to plug in. Right now I'm leaning towards a solar so I don't have to impose myself on my friend any more then I already am by storing my rig there.

Thanks for the answers.
They will fit. The battery tray/bracket is in the same location on all XJ's

Thanks for the answers.

It will fit. All of my XJs have been RENIX, three of them have had Optimas with marine battery terminals - so add an inch and a quarter or so to the top of the taller BCI34 battery.

Two of the three had the insulating liner underhood stripped out (it was falling apart anyhow,) and that posed no trouble either.

You'll be fine.

Back