• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 XJ floor rot repair

DO95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
hello, this is my 95 after pulling up the carpet in the rear, as you can see there is alot of rust through. I am going to start with the rear cargo area and work my way to the firewall in stages. This is my first time doing any kind of floor repair so we will see what happens. So far I have everything out of my way, and the existing surface rust ground down and primed with some weld through primer, templates made from cardboard to assist with making the panels I will need, and I have the passenger side rear corner rough cut out. Still have to drop the tank and get it out of my way and mark the rails so I dont slice them apart. Well any suggestions or if im doing something wrong please let me know as I said I have never attempted anything like this before, thanks.

IMG_4808.jpg

IMG_4810.jpg

IMG_4809.jpg

I'd pull that last plastic trim piece up as well, rust likes to form under that too. Are you planning to do that whole rear floor? I would just to keep some rigidity in it. something like this
0f02d3ee.jpg

It's good to see that you willing to put a little work into it instead of scrapping the whole jeep. I know exactly what your going through

Kirby_0012.jpg

Kirby_0013.jpg

Good luck

I would love to get that last trim piece off, just cant quite figure out how it comes up. I have got all the screws out but it wont come up from around the striker for the hatch. Also not sure about replacing the whole floor, probably will if I find the right dimension sheet (getting my sheet from girlfriends dad).

Cut it all out and piece is back in. I tried to make a floor pan out of one solid sheet and couldn't get it to set down right even though I made a card board template.
IMG_0799.jpg

I would highly recommend that while you have it at this point you look at the upper shock mounts to prevent any problems in the future.

Looks good! I tried fiberglass the first time I did it and was unhappy with the result 6 years later so I'm pulling it up again and basically will be doing what you've already begun. Try using some weld through primer on the sheet metal that will be lapped over existing parts. It will slow future rust and takes no time at all and is usually pretty cheap (5-25 dollars for a can).

Back