• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

About to buy waggy 44s, some questions/concerns.

twodoorXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I found a guy parting out his YJ, he has waggy 44s front and rear, 4.88 gears, full spools, warn locking hubs.

He wants 800.

Now, when i go to look at them, what should i be looking for when i take the cover off?

How do i tell if the bearings/gears are in good shape?

I dont want to keep the spool in the rear, but what about up front, because it does have locking hubs?

Is 800 a good price for the axles?

Thanks,

Chris

I wouldn't want spools in any of my diffs unless I was do competition. Other than that they sounds alright just look for metal/metaic flakes in the oil and look at the wear on the teeth of the gears.

I wouldn't want spools in any of my diffs unless I was do competition. Other than that they sounds alright just look for metal/metaic flakes in the oil and look at the wear on the teeth of the gears.

Spools will be swapped with detroits.

What exactly do you mean look at the wear on the teeth?

if you do rockcralwing competitions or anything technical, you dont want spools. trust me.

find out who did the gears. if it was a reputable shop i'd trust it. if someone else, then id be a little weary. ask how long ago it was done and how many miles on em' condition of the gear oil. just feel for decent backlash (kinda hard to tell if you havent geared axles though)

The waggy rear axle is very narrow. You may need spacers.

I run a spool in the front with manual locking hubs. Love it.

I run a detroit in the rear.

I just picked them up, they actually have mini spools. Maybe ill just do 2 powertracks or aussies.

Ill snap some pics of the gear pattern once i get the covers off again.

The waggy rear axle is very narrow. You may need spacers.

I run a spool in the front with manual locking hubs. Love it.

I run a detroit in the rear.

I have a 87 Waggy 44 rear... and as I recall it's about 1.5 inches shorter. So, 3/4 inch per side narrower. I run it with no spacer with no problems. Can't even really tell. Just my experience...

I have a 87 Waggy 44 rear... and as I recall it's about 1.5 inches shorter. So, 3/4 inch per side narrower. I run it with no spacer with no problems. Can't even really tell. Just my experience...

58" wms, so 2.5" narrower than a stock XJ rear. I can think of a lot of places moving my tire in 1.25" on each side might be problematic. ;)

58" wms, so 2.5" narrower than a stock XJ rear. I can think of a lot of places moving my tire in 1.25" on each side might be problematic. ;)

Ya, that sounds right. I'm *only* running 33's. Not noticeable to me in the least. Tires would hit the fenders before the inside of the wheel-well. 35-37's... maybe another story?

Ya, that sounds right. I'm *only* running 33's. Not noticeable to me in the least. Tires would hit the fenders before the inside of the wheel-well. 35-37's... maybe another story?

Backspacing of a wheel can make up the difference.

Im most likely going to run spacers in the rear?

Should i just get spacers that will also convert the wheel pattern to 5 x 5.5?

And then change the front to 5 x 5.5?

Stay 6 lug.

Wheels are way more available on the used market. The 6 lug front rotors/hubs are way better, thicker, and more durable than the 5 lug ford rotors. The chevy big bearing spindles are better too (for use with the 6 lug rotors).

The 6 to 5 spacers are very thick too.

you gotta get wheels anyway. why spend more money to make them accept a wheel you have to buy anyway?

I found a guy parting out his YJ, he has waggy 44s front and rear, 4.88 gears, full spools, warn locking hubs.

He wants 800.

Now, when i go to look at them, what should i be looking for when i take the cover off?

How do i tell if the bearings/gears are in good shape?

I dont want to keep the spool in the rear, but what about up front, because it does have locking hubs?

Is 800 a good price for the axles?

Thanks,

Chris

Couple of weeks ago I picked up front and rear 86 d44 for 400 but it didn't have any of the extras though. I'm in the progress of swapping them in now

Waggy stock gears can be 2.72, 3.07, or 3.31s. Pretty steep if he got stock ones.

Back