• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

metalic ticking noise when braking

dumpert

NAXJA Forum User
A friend has an 1998 XJ with 4.0 and auto tranny AW-4 (Aisin). The Jeep has 185,000 miles. The T/C is a part time NP231. When you brake or use the emergency brake to slow down there is a loud metalic ticking sound that happens at a faster rate than the wheels turning. This happens in 2 wheel drive mode and I have not checked if it happens in 4 wheel drive. If you remove the front drive shaft the sound goes away. We have looked at the unit bearings, the differential R&P, etc. and everything up front looks normal. Could it be the T/C? Any ideas on what to try next?
Thanks

The front axle is always live so the front driveshaft always turns even in 2WD. I think there is a pump attached to the front output but I'm not 100% on that. Could also be the chain. Maybe somebody who knows more about the 231 will jump in

Back