• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

frame stiffeners question

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
is 1/4 over kill for frame stiffeners?
i'l going to be adding a cage and want it to all help the jeep body from flexing. i have have 30ft of 5X3-1/4 angle

i dont want to add to much weight to the jeep.
specs in sig to see about how much i carrying.

i would say yes, 3/16 is probably the max i would go. i have the HDO stiffeners that are 10ga and they work well

Is it overkill? Probably. People have said my 3/16 was overkill.

Should you use the 1/4 since you already have it laying around? Hell yes!

Is it overkill? Probably. People have said my 3/16 was overkill.

Should you use the 1/4 since you already have it laying around? Hell yes!

This. Unless adding weight is that important to you, I would be tempted to use what you have.

what about drilling BIG holes for welding? to reduce the weight. some thing like 1.5 to 2 inch holes? or would that effect the bending

A couple hundred bucks will get you stiffeners from one of our vendors. Could be worth it to save time and weight.

TnT Customs makes a 10-bolt belly pan (Crossmember+Trans&T-Case Skid All-In-One) and also offer uni-body stiffeners those combined would really lock things down and might cut weight a bit.

You might check out their design and materials and get some ideas if you are going to fab it up yourself. The stiffeners run about ~$200.00

http://www.tntcustoms.com/xj.aspx

Last edited:
1/4" is a little much.

My MJ is 3/16" and it may be too much.

My XJ had 10 guage formed perfectly and it was AWESOME. I second the suggestion to get one of the vendors pre-made 10guage stiffeners. :thumbup:

1/4 is ok. yeah its way overkill but id rather overkill then underkill. i personally dont think 10 guage is thick enough. the stock uniframe on an xj is only 16 guage at best. but thats just my opinion. lots of guys run the 10 guage with no problems. i like 3/16 or 1/4. if you already have the material and knowhow to build the stiffys then go for it. dont waste more money because some guy on naxja told you you need the 10 guage stiffeners. freeriders build was done with 1/4 box tubing cut in half. and i think his is the best build on the board right now.

trying to weld 1/4" to the frame is going to be a PITA! I have the HDO ones and it wanted to burn threw the frame in some places so I had to back off. I couldent even think how hard it will be with 1/4"

you just have to burn on the 1/4 and push the puddle to the frame. it is a pita. i havent done stiifeners on my xj yet but i have burned other things. ive had my shares of making 1/2 holes. im not the best welder out there but i think it can be done with a little patience.

I agree with the fact that welding 1/4 to the 16 gauge unibody is going to be extremeley difficult its going to burn through with that much heat. drilling holes and doing rossette welds will help but I would only do half of the holes at a time a move to the other end for the next one. just make sure its cooled back down before you finish it. just my .2

ive plated my steering box area, champfered it about half the thickness of the metal. did pretty dang good, i thought

i knew about the vendors stiffeners, just had the material laying here so thats really why i asked.

use what you have. save the money for other projects or upgrades. at least you know if you use 1/4 that thing will be solid.

its a trail rig, maybe 100 mile of road a year, now lol.

might find something smaller

how thick is 10g?
is there a formula to figure how thick it is?

I agree with the fact that welding 1/4 to the 16 gauge unibody is going to be extremeley difficult its going to burn through with that much heat. drilling holes and doing rossette welds will help but I would only do half of the holes at a time a move to the other end for the next one. just make sure its cooled back down before you finish it. just my .2

ok, DONT weld just one half then move to another area especially with 1/4" thick stiffeners. that will still concentrate too much heat in one area. instead jump around a bit. of course if your rosette holes are fewer and further between there is less jumping, but less tying into the frame rails.

i went with HD Offroads stiffeners- front, mids, and rear. though i have mixed feelings on specific issues of them, i am overall pleased. when i welded them up i jumped all over the place with the welds. thats both the rosette holes and the stitch welds on the edges. this ensured that i did not heat any area of the frame rail up and make the "heat affected zone" larger than it needed to be. (google it if you need to)

how do i get all the old coating off? thought i read some were that brake fluid will eat it away

Back