• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In a bind! overheating and loss of oil pressure

cjmassey406

NAXJA Forum User
Today I got stuck in traffic and I noticed that my temp guage started shooting up and my oil pressure started dropping out. I figure the first was the reason for the second. I dropped my heep into neutral and reved up to 1500 rpms and the temp came down. as I got out of traffic and got moving it all got better so the best I can figure is the electric fan isn't working. After getting home letting the engine cool I ran to the hardware store and was running 40 psi again until I got stuck in road contruction jam for ten minutes and it started again. The best I can figure is that either my water pump is slipping on the serpintine or worse either the temp sensor, electric fan/relay, or oil pump isnt working correctly. My wife and I have a camping trip planned this weekend and I need to fix this or I have a SH*% storm to deal with. Any ideas with a good plan of attack.

Gotta figure out what is causing that overheat. They are very hard on the engine, especially the cylinder head.

Start with verifying that both fans are working properly. The fan clutch and the electric fan. The e-fan should come on at approximately 217 farenheit. Verify that for sure, but if you're getting to 217, you have another issue as well.

BTW, the #1 cause of "temp creep" on the 4.0 is a bad fan clutch.

That being said, you should always review ALL cooling system components when symptomatic.

When was the last cooling system flush performed? Coolant a nice green and clean in color? New thermostat never a bad idea; I buy mine from Jeep and like the Stant SuperStat. Use a 195 degree stat. Also replace radiator cap if it's old; they're only about $5.00 Then it is on to the serpentine belt, the water pump and radiator.

Everything works in concert.....There is no better money spent, than that spent on cooling system maintenance.

make sure you still have a fan shroud.
posted by joe_peters
"NAPA 272310, 97-98 ZJ HD (not MAX COOL) fan clutch, direct fit, bolt in, $44.

Engages at 80-90 percent of shaft speed versus the stock 60-70 percent.

If you go anywhere but NAPA they will cross-reference the number and give you a standard fan clutch."
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=993344&highlight=fan+clutch this is a little more info on the zj upgrade

This will help you out when you finally get your lift on and are crawling in the woods

If the E-fan is running, sounds like the fan clutch is ready to be replaced.

Beware, that new ones are not always good either!!!

Check to see if the e-fan is working at all, and when does it turn on. Are you running the AC when it overheats?

What is the idle RPM when it is overheating?

Check the oil for coolant too!

birchlakeXJ said:
;....There is no better money spent, than that spent on cooling system maintenance.
Like an ice cold cooler of Shiner Bock :) :cheers:

Seriously though i agree 100%. nothing will leave you stranded with a sick feeling in your gut worse than an overheated engine.
Just my .02 but a blown/ failed head gasket might cause this as well.

Back