• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkels?

I have run a Safari snorkle for 10 years and never had a problem. It is designed to flush out the water from rain and snow is a small enough volume to not cause a problem.

Anyone here actually use their snorkel on a regular basis? I really don't think I'd ever want to intentionally drive through water that was halfway up my doors.

I drive my jeep to work a few times a week and usually all weekend.

I have had my safari snorkel since February. I never got to drive it with snow so I cannot comment on that. When it is raining pretty hard I will turn the head to the side 90 degrees to eliminate most of the rain being forced into it. I have also never had an issue with rain water getting in to the point where it became a problem before I started rotating the head in heavy rain.

For me the snorkel is cheap insurance vs function. I hate how the front of the airbox is so low. A lot of the places I wheel the water holes change depth due to a number of idiots and its never known how deep something is until you give it a whirl. This just lets me not worry about how deep something is when going through it.

Water halfway up your doors is about the same height as your stock airbox's intake. Your Jeep traveling through water is going to create a wave that may wash some of that water up and over your hood. And as pointed out above, you never know how deep a water hole really is! $400 in intake insurance is cheaper than a new motor.

I didn't want a snorkel so I made this
downsize-26.jpg

Back