• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering that moves with acceleration

Ben_Dyer

NAXJA Forum User
1998 XJ Sport
worn 32" BFG MT's
5-6" lift (short arm w/ drop brackets)
8.8 in the rear
30 up front
OTK steering system can be seen here..... http://rocky-road.com/xjott.html

So when i am acelerating my steering wheel and jeep slowly turn driver (some where around 30mph it stops and holds straight) and as soon as i let off the gas it turns back passenger. I need sugestions, I have went through and checked the tightness on everything and its all good...

What transfer case do you have? Does it feel like the rear end is pushing around? It could be torque-steer. When you have a long axle shaft and a short axle shaft, the short side spools up input power first (actually the available resistance in the shorter shaft is consumed first). This is why FWD cars tend to have the steering wheel pull hard to one side on hard acceleration from a full stop, the short shaft is spooling up first. The 8.8 shafts are different lengths and there is probably enough of a difference that you'd get the effect on hard takeoff. It'd be more likely if you were running full-time to the front axle. Maybe the rear is loose

Last edited:
Could also be a bumpsteer issue,a soft suspension can cause the front to lift/dive while driving.Also IIRC the ORO system had some ackerman issues.

As previously stated; much like the ORO system, that one butchers the ackerman angle. Check all the easy stuff first, but in the long run, you may need to seriously consider removing that steering setup.

I am going to have to remove it... today i was checking everything over again and found a good crack in the steering mount on the passenger side, upon further investigation i found another crack where the bracket is welded to the axle tube.... Im glad this happened though forces me to fix a problem that is needed badly.

Had a similar issue.

Turned out to be that one of the spring perches broke off, i would double check that.

I dont think the difference in 8.8 shaft lengths would be enough to make the jeep pull in one direction or another, i have two sitting side by side in my garage only about 1-2 inches difference.

Back