• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help!! cant get my steering box on

dingo01xj

NAXJA Forum User
-ok im making a winch bumper

-i take my steering box bolts out to get my plate on my unibody

-put the bumper plate on stick my bolts through the frame

_ position my steering box and spacer

i get my 2 bottom bolts on but the top wont thread in

feels like its stripped so i take the box off and the bolt threads right in

put the box back on no luck

ive been messing with it all day and got work in the morning

-ok im making a winch bumper

-i take my steering box bolts out to get my plate on my unibody

-put the bumper plate on stick my bolts through the frame

_ position my steering box and spacer

i get my 2 bottom bolts on but the top wont thread in

feels like its stripped so i take the box off and the bolt threads right in

put the box back on no luck

ive been messing with it all day and got work in the morning
First clue.....
Try fitting the steering box and bumper while its not on the vehicle!
BTW:you do know that the XJ framerails are not "square" to each other?

This is not an uncommon problem. The box is heavy, and the holes have to line up just right. It may be that when you put the bottom bolts in, it allows the box to tilt off a bit. Try inserting a different pair of bolts first, don't tighten them up all the way, and wiggle it around, and eventually it should catch.

That's good advice.

Or...put the difficult bolt in first, just caught on the first few threads, then work the others in and work them til they grab the threads. Tighten them in same sequence.

I've also used a similar size dowel to orient the bolts, little grease or anti sieze might help too.

i tried moving the box around and turning them in slowly...and starting with the same amount of turns in each bolt..

i think the more i try the more damaged the bolts get:doh:

now only 1 bolt goes in and the other 2 wont grip.

cars been sitting in my driveway for 2 days:mad:

no jeep dealer has the bolts i just want new ones cant get the same threads anywhere else

anybody got any advice or know where to get these bolts?

Look in the classifieds for a hardware store that specializes in fittings...I think that at this age you definitely need to replace the bolts.

It is doable to align all holes by yourself, but it is very easy if you have someone helping you. I know, it is a dumb advice, but I just finished similar job (writeup coming soon). When I did it, it took me 20 mins to do it myself and two and a half mins when my son came and helped the second time around.

Secure the steering wheel, so it wont move, othervise you will damage the clockspring.

Best

Boris

They are standard 7/16"-16,can be bought anywhere!

Tru-Value, ACE hardware and NAPA should all have a thread finder board. Take the bolt in, screw it in to the most likely hole, all the way in, match up the length, good to go. Metric or SAE grade 8. Stainless Steel even better. You'd be wasting your time going to the dealer and asking for a "steering box bolt". Couldn't hurt to throw a fender or lock washer on there and some blue Loctite.

You can find a flange bolt at either of those places or a Fastenal store.

Just try not to screw up the nutserts, otherwise you'll have to drill and bolt through.

Last edited:
Lowes or home depot have them. they were 4' long. I just replaced mine when i had to replace the steering box brace. Put the top one in first then wiggle the other two around till they start.

Just try not to screw up the nutserts, otherwise you'll have to drill and bolt through.

What nutserts,the steering box is threaded?????

What nutserts,the steering box is threaded?????

He is prolly thinking about the bracket. Its holes are full of thread locking substance applied at the factory. With time it becomes so hard, its color matches the aluminum color of the bracket and gives the impression that the holes are tapped.

Just a wild guess tho...

Boris

Back