• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 grand cherokee d44 in a xj

I believe the GC 44 came with the aluminum center section, not a good swap. I'd check it with a magnet first, if it is aluminum don't waste your time or money on it, the 8.8 is a much better swap anyway.

I can guarantee you it is an Aluminum center section dana 44 which may even have a marking on it D44A. It is absolute junk because they bend very easy causing the axle shafts to be just a little off when they pass through the bearings into the housing causing them to fail prematurely and you will constantly have to rebuild the differential. I have a buddy with a ZJ with the D44A and he has had to rebuild it 3 times now and I keep telling him to trash it and hunt down a TJ or XJ D44 to swap in.

Steal the disk brake parts and build an XJ axle. 8.25/D44 can be had for cheap..

I wouldnt swap a D44a into an XJ.. but i also wouldnt waste my time swapping an XJ d44 into a ZJ either.. to much work for axles that are all easily available for the models they came in..

why the 44a swap in mind? the 8.25 (29 spline) is a pretty underrated axle. takes a damn good beating on 35's. But depending on where and how you wheel, you might need different.

biggest thing is what you are trying to achieve :dunno:

Yea i agree with all of you and thanks for all the quick help, im not going to use it in my jeep but i may pay the 100 for it if the disk brake setup will work on my 8.25, thanks

WJ's have a different bolt pattern. 5 on 5.

Yea i agree with all of you and thanks for all the quick help, im not going to use it in my jeep but i may pay the 100 for it if the disk brake setup will work on my 8.25, thanks

Not really a "bolt-on",better off with ZJ brakes.

Ive heard that a trussed d44a is stronger then a standard d44 because it has a d60 pinion... or something like that. Anyone ever heard anything like that?

Back