• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It refuses to die!

Survivalist45

NAXJA Forum User
Okay haha, here we go.

1991 XJ, 4.0HO, 228,000 miles

Here are some things Im going through, Im pretty sure Im just going to put a new motor in, but we shall see...

Freeze plug is gone, radiator and overflow must be filled atleast once a day, oil pressure is pegged out way above 80PSI, oil shoots out of dip stick tube, and breather hose into airbox (air filter dripps oil when you take it out), one of the worst rod knocks you will ever hear, and a lifter tap on top of it...

And I'm still driving it!! It will not die!

So....$185.95 for junkyard motor, or should I try and fix the current problems? I have no idea why the oil pressure is so high?

Added note: I know its really really stupid to still be driving it, I take full responsibility for any and all mechanical failures resulting from stupidity..

And its the only thing I have to drive at the moment lol

If you want to fix it ASAP, dropping in the junkyard motor would be quicker than replacing the lower end and freeze plugs. If it wasn't for the rod-knock, I would suggest fixing the freeze plugs and cleaning sludge from the CCV system, but to fix the knock you're going to need to replace/regrind your crankshaft and replace all of the other bearings, for which you'd probably want to pull the motor anyways.

The problem with a junkyard motor is that it's a crap shoot that you'll find one in much better shape than yours. Definetly make sure you can return it if there is a big problem. Maybe the best course is to pull your motor and replace with a JY motor, then put your old engine on a stand and rebuild it at your leisure, and as your budget allows. Let the JY motor tide you over until your rebuild is complete.

That is basically what I intend to do with mine, although I'm going to rebuild the JY motor instead of the original motor.

Back