• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjusting back hatch on 2001 XJ... (with pics)

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
This is a subject I've seen posted a few times, but never seen any pics. This is for those of us who've had our hatchback, back hatch, hatch (search terms) get hard to open. If you're latch is not working consistently, or you have to push in on the back hatch, then open the latch ... then this is for you.

A fairly easy adjustment. Simply remove all the screws (and handle on my 2001) around the plastic cover on the inside of your hatch. I didn't photo this procedure as it's obvious and easy to see. Once you've removed the plastic cover you can look inside and see the latch/lock/movement assembly.

(picture looking inside the hatch... taken w/my iPhone)
HatchBackRelease2001.jpg

To the right in the pic you'll notice the threaded 'rod' ... this needs to be adjusted. You can slip off the plastic 'green' clamp on the base (pops off to the left... as seen in pic), slide the rod out and then twist it to shorten the length. I had to turn mine about 6-8 full turns to get it how I wanted. However, I shut the hatch to check after 2 full turns each time... until I got it how I wanted it. I 'shortened' the distance about 1/4" on mine.

HatchBackRelease2001b.jpg

After getting it adjusted. I blew out the dust via my air compressor (optional) and sprayed down the moving parts w/some white lithium grease. Put it all back together and now it works fantastically!! :)

Hopefully this little write-up and pics is helpful. Thanks all...

Back