• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Instrument Panel Upgrades

FrankGRUN

NAXJA Forum User
As a new owner of a '96 Cherokee XJ Country, I have indulged in some customization, expanding on the Previous Owner's efforts. As he passed it on to me, it had been treated to a 4.5 inch Rubicon Express lift, Nates4x4 front and rear bumpers, 33" tires, Dana 44 rear differential with limited slip, alloy axles, Dana 30 front differential with Aussie Locker, KC distance lights, new cat, new powertrain computer and K&N filter. I added a new Insignia NS-HD5113 head unit, Cobra CB, Rear swing-away spare tire carrier, Hi-lift Jack, River Raider Interior Hi-Lift Mount, Auto-dimming Compass Map light mirror, Viper RF keyless Entry and various cup holders.

More specifically for this thread, I modified the instrument panel situation with three additions:

First, I added the LCD clock from earlier XJ's by a junkyard addition. I modified the face of the clock to hold an iPhone mount. The iphone connects to the Insignia head unit which fully supports the ipod functions of the iphone and charges the unit as well. This gives me an integrated hands-off cell phone capability along with sophisticated gps navigation capability along with full access to my music and audiobook library.

Second, I switched out the speedometer drive gear exchanging the stock red for the 30-tooth yellow gear and brought my speedometer to a +/- 1% accuracy at 60 mph according to my GPS calibration. Cheap, simple easy.

Third, I added an Ultragauge monitor (www.ultra-gauge.com). My '96 XJ is OBD II compliant and I wanted the advantage of a real time MPG, average MPG and Distance to Empty monitor. The Ultragauge is similar to the Scangauge II unit, but far superior in my opinion. For about $60 (!), I have a gauge that gives me the mpg values I wanted, but also displays a total of 6 gauges on its display simultaneously. I have the six gauges set to give me the instantaneous MPG, average MPG, Distance to Empty, Fuel Gallons Remaining, Percent Engine Load, and the Absolute Throttle Position Percentage. In addition the gauge monitors in the background, the engine coolant temperature, the actual MPH, the fuel remaining and the distance to empty and sounds an alarm when any of these values approach a danger position. It also accumulates a log of the engine's volumetric efficiency, and monitors oil and service distances.

For an engineering buff, these are exciting additions! YMMV.

True,

That was the point of replacing the stock red gear with 36 teeth with 30 tooth yellow gear as needed for 33" tires and the 3.55 differential. As I indicated above, the actual speedometer reading is within 1% of the GPS calibrated actual value.

Ok, good sales pitch on the ultra-gauge I impulsed bought one ha. I been wanting an OBD2 scan tool and have been looking at the cheapies but with the built in screen I had to give it a shot.

Hmm. I'd like to think that wasn't a sales pitch! As far as I know the Ultragauge isn't advertised or pitched by retailers. I searched long and hard for a less costly alternative to the Scanguage. I bought and returned several alternatives from Amazon and ebay before finding the UG. I just wanted to bring it to fellow geeks attention given the primitive instrument panel on my '96 XJ. I've been spoiled by BMW, SAAB, Audi, VW and other previously owned vehicles.

Hmm. I'd like to think that wasn't a sales pitch! As far as I know the Ultragauge isn't advertised or pitched by retailers. I searched long and hard for a less costly alternative to the Scanguage. I bought and returned several alternatives from Amazon and ebay before finding the UG. I just wanted to bring it to fellow geeks attention given the primitive instrument panel on my '96 XJ. I've been spoiled by BMW, SAAB, Audi, VW and other previously owned vehicles.

Well, I didn't really mean sales pitch. Just you made it sound pretty useful and I haven't herd of if before but had been looking for something like it. At the price it's had to pass over.

I've got a scan gauge and this ultra gauge looks pretty sweet. Thanks for the info.

On a side note they are on sale for like $60. So WAY cheaper than what I paid for a scan gauge.

Last edited:
Back