• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

made some tow hook mounts...

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User
took an hour or so... but here they are... all mounted through the frame with 1/2" grade 8 hardware and with a 1/4" plate steel backing plate on the other side

front

for this I made a bracket... drill out the original bumper hole and drilled through to the other side of the frame... there was a unused hole that I decided to use... and I used a 1/4" plate on the other side of the frame

DSCF3215.jpg

DSCF3220.jpg

for the rear I plan to make a similar bracket... but for now it should work... it goes all the way though the frame and has a 1/4" plate steel backing plate

DSCF3222.jpg

you can't see the backing plate very well in this pic but you get the idea

DSCF3225.jpg

thanks for the advice... you think welding them in would help?

that is kinda what I was thinking, more mounting holes and spread it out more

I am planning on making a similar mounting plate for the rear

but I do think that the backing plates provide some clamping pressure... that should help out some

Last edited:
I'd replace the rear hooks with a rear bumper that has tow points or even a receiver hitch. Add a recovery shackle to the receiver and you're golden.

Regarding the front, having the unibody sandwiched with 2 plates will help, but increasing the overall length to help spread the load is even better.

Also, think about adding a few gussets to help support the horizontal plate by securing it to the vertical plate.

Remember that proper joint prep (45 deg. bevel) will help you achieve a much stronger joint....and turn your heat up some more.

:thumbup::thumbup:

At the very minimum to have safe and secure recovery points, you need to replicate the stock tow hook mounting brackets. Adding more frame holes, similar to brackets like JCR sells, increases the strength and safety of your tow points. A tow hook that pulls loose from the body is a 3+ lbs bullet. Install a Class III hitch for rear recovery.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Take a look at the JCR brackets. See the 7 holes per side? Use them all. don't bother building or buying anything that mimics the stock tow hook bracket. Any real pull will bend them and your frame rail. Mine did both on the first outing.

Also not a good project to practice your welding skills! Start on a non-structural mods.

Also not a good project to practice your welding skills! Start on a non-structural mods.

thanks for the advice... my buddy's dad, who has been a welder/fabricator for a LONG LONG time (close to 40 years), says the welds are fine... as for the brackets/braces he agrees those should be longer and have more mounting points, but he also says sandwiching the frame can/will help out quite a bit

he told me that the sandwich idea basically makes 1 mounting point almost as strong as 2 mounting points, BUT that it is not replacement for a longer bracket with more mounting points

Last edited:
Sandwiching the frame without using crush sleeves is useless.

You're just going to crush the frame rail and never be able to torque the bolts down tight enough to do anything.

thanks for the advice... you think welding them in would help?
No, look at the designs from different companies for to hook mounts and build something similar. For pulls up front you reallt need to tie it back into the 4th hole that is utilized in the kits. 3 is dangerous and 2 mounting holes is SCARY, IMHO. :eek:

As already pictured(top pic),this is what you should be making,minimum.If you intend to use shackles/bumper you add length to the front.These are the ones I made for my 95's winch bumper(bottom pic).
standard.jpg

27360001.JPG

Back