• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft angle

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
What do you think of this driveshaft angle?
2011-05-22085204.jpg

2011-05-22085225.jpg

Overall it's riding well. It starts a pretty good vibration from about 65, really annoying at 70, then smooths out a bit by 75.
It's an '01 with new BigOffroad 4" HD leaves and JKS boomerangs. My digital inclinometer tells me it's only 1 degree off (low), but I don't buy it. Looks off by more. I'm under the impression that I want a degree or 3 above (Diff pointing high) the Driveshaft? I'm thinking shims, but what degree?
Thank you!:viking:

Too low, Bring it up a bit.. Tom Woods recommends the pinion yolk to point at the T-case output shaft..

But don't the shims come in specific degrees? 2-4-6? Hate to just shoot in the dark. But I'm also thinking it needs to come up some.:cheers:

You need to put the gauge on the back of the pumkin.Also know that a 2* shim will net about a 3* change overall.
Also what t-case and sye are you running?

Last edited:
You need to put the gauge on the back of the pumkin.Also know that a 2* shim will net about a 3* change overall.
Also what t-case and sye are you running?

Back of the pumpkin? where? on the cover? It's an AA 231 SYE and TomWoods shaft to an XJ D44.

Also know that a 2* shim will net about a 3* change overall.

I was thinking about things like that... and the springs are literally brand new, probably not 200 miles on them, no trail time yet. Maybe I should just let it settle and recheck in 6 months or so?

I was thinking about things like that... and the springs are literally brand new, probably not 200 miles on them, no trail time yet. Maybe I should just let it settle and recheck in 6 months or so?

I would just throw a 4 or 6 degree shim under the leafs and see where that gets ya.. Drive it and then fine tune from there.
I have the same problem and I have a 4 degree and its not enough, I'm gonna throw another 4 under there and see what happens.

Back of the pumpkin? where? on the cover?

The mounting surface for the cover is 90-degrees to the pinion. But the u-joint on the pinion is also fastened hard to the pinion, so it is a good spot if you can get to it.

I got over 4 inches of lift from the RE 3.5 springs. I put in a 4-degree shim thinking that would be good but am also getting vibes. I bought a little digital level from Sears, this one, it's nice to find the level and then have it "hold" the reading, it also flips the numbers when the level is upside down. Anyway using the Stu method on the u-joint cap and it shows that I'm still 1-2 degrees low. So I've ordered a pair of the 6-degree shims now.

I would not stack shims together. That is begging for failure.

How come no one wants to get an angle finder? If you are going to do something do it right. No one on here can tell you what degree shim you need. They have them at Home Depot for 9 bucks or if there isn't a Home Depot close to you http://www.google.com/products/cata...InUtQPFj9mEDA&ved=0CDUQ8gIwAA&biw=995&bih=540#

If you look real close, that yellow/orange box hanging from the diff, is a Tilt Box
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=67350&cat=1,43513
I can zero it on one surface, and move it to the other to get the difference in degrees. It's only telling me I'm 1 degree low. But I wasn't sure it was on a good surface, and I really don't want to crack the cover for this.
Thanks

If you look real close, that yellow/orange box hanging from the diff, is a Tilt Box
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=67350&cat=1,43513
I can zero it on one surface, and move it to the other to get the difference in degrees. It's only telling me I'm 1 degree low. But I wasn't sure it was on a good surface, and I really don't want to crack the cover for this.
Thanks

I picked up one of those angle finders and they are good, compared readings to a coworkers Fowler unit and another to a Mitutoyo and they were spot on .005 deg. Used it to set caster and camber on an axle build and confident it's perfect.

On a D44 just use face of the diff next to the cover where the case spreader holes are.

With a Cv shaft Tom Woods recomends 3 deg or less angle at the diff yolk. http://www.4xshaft.com/

Back